So I’ve gotten a lot done on my car recerecently. Mainly rust repairing but also something I’ve wanted to for a long time; converting from the big 75-81 rear window to the smaller 70-74 one.
Before attempting this I did a lot of research (Googled*) to see if someone had done and documented this before but unfortunately I couldn’t find any info at all on this subject.
So I decided to do it in a way I figured out myself that I think is the most logical choice in doing this. I also named the post so it will hopefully pop up in a lot of searches for other people looking to do this.
Marking out where to make the cut, I tried to do around one inch from the edge so that I’d have enough material to work with later on
Edge is cut and spotwelds have been drilled out.
Edge is testfitted with window in place and spotwelded into place.
Using a piece of cardboard to measure up the sheetmetal I need to make.
Sheetmetal have been made with about 1/2 inch oversized edge that is then flanged with a flange tool.
Holes for spotwelds are made and the piece is welded into place.
Same thing is done to the other side.
Inside is primered and inside piece is measured up.
And spotwelded into place. If you have the correct interior trim piece the metal plate will not be seen in the final result.
Primer is applied to the outside when everything has been welded up.
And finally some Bondo is applied to smooth it all out (not smooth in the picture but this is where I’m at right now. End result looks really promising).