So, I wanted to build a better 4k home theater computer. The previous build (listed below) wasn’t up to the task of running 2160p resolution and couldn’t handle high bitrate content smoothly. This was an Intel thin-ITX motherboard mounted to a piece of Lexan, mounted to the back of a budget 55" 4k, no HDR support.
- i3-3245: 3.4ghz no turbo, dual core with hyperthreading
- 16GB of sodimm DDR3
- On chip HD4000 GPU
- 256GB SATA SSD
- Intel miniPCI AC wifi card
The new build is an AsRock ITX AM4 B450 motherboard, mounted slightly lower on the same TV.
- Ryzen 5 3400g: 3.7ghz (4.2 boost) quad core, 8 thread APU (CPU/GPU)
- PicoPSU 120watt ATX dc-dc power “supply” powered by a 120watt 12v notebook power brick.
- 16GB of 3200mhz DDR4
- On chip Radeon Vega 11 GPU
- Intel 512GB m.2 PCIe SSD
- Intel onboard m.2 AC wifi
The plan is to replace this budget TV with an OLED unit when those prices come down.
The i3 will become a new home server as an ultra compact build, converting away from an even older i3 built into a mid-tower ATX setup. I’ll post that once it’s finished.