The rest of the Esprit is now >this< much closer to being hauled off for scrap.
It was a nice weekend out, so I began the final steps in preparation for hacking it into bits. Removing the trunk lid, lock, latch, and finish panel above the trunk hinges and springs, which I opted not to save at the moment (because I couldn’t easily remove them).
Then, using my $25 Amazon window removing tool, I cut out the back window.
Its very easy to reach around the entire back window when you can stand in the huge rust hole in the floor, and through the t-tops.
I was warned about the shittiness of the cutting wire the tool came with, and had to use nearly 80% of it to cut out just the back window, (which wasn’t even glued on along the bottom) because the shit kept breaking.
But its out in one piece. Not bad for my first ‘professional’ window removal.
The windshield will not get such treatment, since its cracked and useless.
I lowered the body back down to just ONE block off the ground now, because I pulled the front subframe/engine/trans forward enough to clear room for cutting the body up, and while I was there I hacked off the converter, trans mount, and the rear stubs of the subframe that were in my way, and rotted to heck anyways.
Onto making the first cut into the body, the driver’s rocker:
Then across what was left of the driveshaft tunnel and floor:
The passenger rocker (top tip, avoid the reinforced seat belt mount next time):
Now onto the roof, the last thing holding the car’s front and rear sections together:
And just like that, with the four corners supported by wood blocks (and an extra one holding up the heavy ass), the car is in two halves:
Now comes the fun part of cutting into small enough hunks to fit in the bed of my truck, and light enough to be tossed into the metal scrap dumpster outside of our body shop. The whole body of the car, rusted as it is, is not that heavy, actually. I was able to pick it up to position it on the blocks. Which was handy, because it fell off the jack I had it on while removing the stacked blocks and ended up in the hedge row a bit. I hope my neighbors weren’t watching.
But before I cut up any chunks I need to get rid of the ballast I have in my bed from when it was snowing last week:
Some people use bags of sand, or rock salt, I use Firebird doors. There’s a good 120 pounds right there.