Because that’s how long it’s going to take to get it finished.
We had some weather rolling in, so I improvised a door while I build the real doors. As some of you may have seen, I was waylaid by other problems this weekend and had to address them. One of them was my mower. I also had to work. As in work, work. The kind that pays. There was also a roller-shade install and work reorganizing inside the house.
As for the building, I had a couple of projects that I made progress on this weekend. If you look closely at the lower-right side of the photo above, there’s a black thing with two silver dots. That’s an anchor being screwed into the ground. These things are really hard to drive in by hand. I managed to get one of the back anchors in place. Two others are almost in place. Then we have one more at the far corner. There’s metal strapping material that gets wound around the split bolt in each anchor and runs over the runners and floor joists to the anchor on the opposite side. With hurricane anchors installed in the walls and to the rafters, this little building is going to be hard to blow away.
The other project is, of course, the doors. The instructions call for butt joints in the corners and that just didn’t seem sturdy enough for me. I decided to try my hand at some simple joinery.
Now that’s a darn good fit for an amateur with a table saw! Each corner is getting a half-lap joint, secured by glue and screws (not shown). Here’s the mockup of the rest of the door.
After this photo it was squared up and the corners were fastened together. Now it needs cross-bracing, a skin, and then comes the hardware to hang it.