Hey Oppo! As the title suggests I’m going to the race at the end of the month. The title also should suggest that I have no idea what the hell I’m doing . . . because I don’t. So, I turn to you with a list of questions. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help.
1. What should I do? I know this is very broad, but what would you do if you were going? Keep in mind I do not have an unlimited budget, so smuggling the new GT out of the track is not an option. Frankly, neither is most of the stuff I could spend money on. I plan on getting a garage pass along with admission.
2. Speaking of admission, there are 2 and 4 day passes. Which would you do? Don’t say 4 because 4>2. What occurs during the Thurs and Fri? Also, I might not be able to be there on the Thurs, so I would buy the 4 day for three. Also, I’m assuming I want the infield, not just the stands, right?
3. What do I bring? Folding chairs? Binoculars? Spare 2002 parts for random guys to sign? Seriously, I have no idea. I’m assuming that clothing is also important.
4. Where do I go? I’m 21 and will be by myself. Not saying I will be furiously swiping left on Tinder, just asking what would be the most fun. I’ll wear my BMW baseball cap so people know I’m a knob, so I got that going for me, which is nice. (NOTE: If you’ll be there and aren’t afraid of people from Maryland, let me know. I’ll stop by and we’ll have some beer and conversation.)
5. What’s there to do besides watch the race and ruin my pants every time the C7R roars by? I’ve heard of there are bands as well as historic cars for me to drool over.
6. Infield parking is no longer available, but I would like to spend the night at the race. Sleeping bag in the stands? Sleep in the car in the parking lot? The hood of the DeltaWing after it inevitably gets thrown off the track 2 hours in? Any ideas?
I think that’s enough for now. If you have any tips, please share. There is a ton of info on DIR’s site, but it’s a lot to take in and I feel like half of the stuff wouldn’t interest me or costs BOTH kidneys. If you have any questions to help you better answer one of my questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you very very much!