Admittedly I didn’t fully disappear. I’ve occasionally made a comment on the FP and I’ve been on Discord, but I took a break in most places.
So, what’s happened in all that time?
Firstly, I learned my lessons about unnecessary travel and social distancing. Admittedly I’ve not completely locked myself at home. I’ve taken a few drives and rides for my mental state.
- I got furloughed. I was an essential worker, but the company bean counters decided that my entire department needed to close indefinitely.
- I broke up with my girlfriend. Since Valentine’s Day, a few things have been happening that have been breaking my trust. Repeated attempts to rectify the situation had failed, so here we are. I learned another lesson about dating. Eventually I’ll find the best partner for me!
- I hope I will be getting a weekend writing gig at an auto site I will not disclose. Of course, COVID-19 has made even that uncertain.
- I somewhat successfully implemented my dream of having a safe space for trans people in need. Twice this year I was able to take in a couple guests and they left here in at least what I thought was a better state than coming in. In the future I’d love to expand on this now that I’ve found a way to do it without getting hurt.
- The foreclosure on the rental house is postponed, indefinitely.
- I made a trade! I was offered a 1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D with only 160,000 miles (less than my first smart), manual transmission, and little rust for my still very broken Passat. I got to keep the wheels I bought for the Passat and got some cash too. When I first wanted a diesel car I really wanted an old Benz, so it was an easy trade for me.
Plan for it is the original intention I had for the Passat: Offroad car. It’ll get my roof rack, RGB lighting, and maybe some sweet tires if we can get the Cooper Tires sponsorship to work out.
First mod was easy! Turning this knob..
Into a flight stick..
She needs a few cosmetic improvements and a good Svending, but otherwise it’s in pretty decent nick. Basically no underbody rust, everything works (even the sunroof!) and it goes faster than MB’s claimed top speed!
- I still need to sell the Vespa project and my Suzuki GS.
Despite my uncertainty about income (Illinois’ Unemployment has been a disaster for many through this) and general uncertainty about the future because of COVID-19, I’m actually doing pretty okay.
With the Trump check, my last paycheck from work, and other assorted money, I can cover what bills I need to pay for at least the next month or two... but hopefully UI will kick in by that point.
I’m sure there are a lot more updates I’ve missed, but I suppose those are the ones I remember right now.