Started the metal work on the Trans Am
Cut the lower quarter and dogleg out. Lower quarter had pinholes and previous Bondo repair, dogleg had damage, holes, rust, Bondo, everything. Metal was all original though.
I... have some additional work to do behind that dogleg. Shit.
I plan to cover/weld up all the old side spoiler holes (which cause most of the rust to begin with), as I am running without them. It’s going to be a Trans Am by name (and in fender vent) only. The rest is going to be very Formula-esque.
Anyways, I need to fab a channel to replace the rotted inner fender so I have somewhere to attach the outer patch panels I got. The rest I will just treat and forget existed.
I also need to make a new striker plate. Its toast.
And then there’s the frame rail. I thought I could get away with just plating or patching the hole I found, but when I started to grind and cut away the small trunk floor section I need to replace, I found more thin metal, and rust holes.
I’m just going to find a nice used, or chintzy aftermarket new frame rail to section in. Yay, more work!
Speaking of work, at least the floors the PO put in just need some finish welding. Been putting that off for years, and it shows.
The right sides are 99% done, just need to grind back the welds if I want to make them pretty. The left sides are welded up on top, just need to be finished down below, and possibly ground down.
Oh yeah, then I need to do the OTHER rocker and dogleg. Shit, almost forgot.
I don’t know... Its not going to be a factory correct resto, just a resto-mod for me to have fun with someday so it doesn’t need to be perfect.
But dammit, that someday needs to get closer.