Last Sunday was the first autocross of the season, and that evening I put the MR2 in the garage still on the race tires since I didn’t have time to change them out. Fast forward to Thursday, I go in the garage to mess with a small compressor I got as a gift, when I notice that the key is still in the ignition. Odd.

Illustration for article titled Ive made a terrible mistake

I take a closer look and notice it’s turned to accessory. Shit. This battery has been stone dead for like 96 hours. I jump the car and let it run for like 40 minutes or so, then turn it off (all the way off this time dammit) and go to bed, thinking all was well.


Fast forward to yesterday afternoon when I finally swap the street tires back onto the car. I finish up, then go to start the car and not even a click from the starter. I glance at the volt meter and notice it’s at like 4V. Great, now the battery won’t hold charge. I’ve killed it. The $200 Braille lightweight battery I just replaced in January last year (first one gave me several years of fantastic service) is dead as a doornail.

I naturally turn to the interwebs to see what is the best way of attempting to resuscitate one of these things. Apparently, according to Optima, there are two ways to try. You can take the bad battery and link it to a fully charged good battery in parallel (+ to +, - to -) and use a charger on that. This will kind of buffer the charging to the dead battery and can sometimes bring them back from the grave. The other method I saw was to use an AGM-friendly charger with a desulfate mode, which can sometimes recover dead cells in the battery if it’s just a sulfate issue.

So rather than immediately plunk down ANOTHER $200 for a replacement battery, I ordered one of these chargers and I’m going to give it a shot this week and see if I can save myself a couple bills. Wish me luck!

Share This Story

Get our newsletter