I've owned it for a week now.

And this is as far as I’ve got.

The interior is mostly out. I wanted to get what’s left of the floor uncovered first and while the driver’s seat was already rusted off, the passenger seat was still ‘firmly’ bolted to the floor. Surprisingly it came out quite easy.

Advertisement

Well, the rear two bolts did. Since the tracks were rusted in place I couldn’t move the seat forward or back to make them more accessible. The front bolts were attached to floor that was about to crumble anyways, so I leveraged the now half-removed seat and ripped it out of the car. literally.

The rust holes in the tow boards lead to a nice visual of the front subframe, and transmission control linkages.

Advertisement

Passenger floor (With sadly a cracked A/C duct, which is typical but I had my fingers crossed. And yes that’s a paver block holding the remainder of the right rocker up. It sags quite badly when the heavy door is opened):

Advertisement

Driver’s side, now with most of the carpet and padding removed (note the kickdown linkage, & speedo cable):

Advertisement

I then removed ALL the padding and carpeting, and began work on removing the much needed shift knob, shifter bezel (sadly broken as well, but has good parts and is usable), and then center console.

Advertisement
Advertisement

My hopes that the trans tunnel was intact enough to provide a backbone to the car to keep it taco-ing has been dashed:

Advertisement

My plans to get the car running may be on hold... I dunno, I kinda feel like turning the motor over’s going to launch it into the bushes at this point. But it’ll be fun!

Advertisement

Bonus pic of me standing in the rust hole after removing the t-tops for good. With the amount the body flexes when I open the right door I didn’t want the glass panels to get broken.

Advertisement

The t-tops are now made of cardboard, covered by a nice poop-brown tarp.

Share This Story