I took the opportunity today to work on some of the smaller things on the racecar: putting most of the trim back on, painting the wiper arms and reinstalling them, polished up the lights and put them back on, touched up some paint on the trim and installed some hood pins.
This will let me ditch the original latch and cable mechanism, which will shave a couple of pounds off the car (and at the front, too!). I originally installed the plates with the metal screws that came in the kit, but in the end I decided they seemed like something that would loosen up after a couple of weekends. Some small rivets made me feel better. The original latch is still sitting on the inner bumper. I’ll remove it and the cable tomorrow. Drilling holes through a new hood with fresh paint felt a bit unnatural.