But first, a story. I’ll try to tl;dr this. Last time I posted on Oppo it was pulling my hair out in a full-blown crisis. I test drove a Maserati 4200 Coupe GT that I knew I couldn’t quite afford, but weeks and weeks later I still really, really wanted it. Which is incredibly out of character for me. You all said don’t buy it if you can’t afford it, you idiot, what’s the matter with you what kind of stupid question is that anyways. UPDATE!
I tried to walk away, and the dealer gave me the consignors bottom dollar, and I... I couldn’t just walk. The deal was too good. Once in a lifetime. So I resourcefully considered some... unconventional financing avenues available to me, got the green light from the bank to draw down my cash, found an off-duty Ferrari Master Tech to do an on-site PPI, and was ready to go this past Saturday cash in-hand. But the weather had other plans (4” of snow) and I laid it off a week, figuring at least the weather meant no one else could take it.
The very next day someone called, the dealer sent out a purchase agreement, the guy paid full ask over the phone with no conditions, arranged his own shipping, and it was gone the next morning before the first snowflake fell. After being listed for 6 months!!!!!!!! So I’m sure “my” car will have a lovely home in the back of some rich d-bag’s garage.
Anyways, now that I’ve already gone through all the bullshit to actually get this financing moving, I might start looking for something in earnest. Ultimately I was going to get something in a year anyways, the question of now-or-later just comes down to how much I have available.
Here’s what I’m looking for:
- 3 pedal is a must, as is RWD/AWD.
- $50k absolute max (in a year or so), $25k MAYBE $30k I can get it now.
- Comfy enough for 3+ hour drives for someone like 6’5”
- Something special enough people will think twice before parking next to it
- NO R32’s, JDM 90’s halo cars, Camaros, Stangs, Vettes, 1, 3, 5, or 6-Series, or Porsche of any kind. Not that I would never consider these, its just not where I want to start.
- Maintenance is not a concern, I’m guessing 1000-2000 miles a year max. Willing to travel for the right car.
- Like 13.5s in the 1/4 or better
So far my list is: Maserati Coupé GT (4200), Aston Martin DB7 Vantage, maybe Lotus Evora? And for two way the fuck out there candidates: Panoz Esperante and a restored, RB25DET swapped 240/260/280z.
What’s your ideas, Oppo?