...when you purchase some magnets!
Didn’t do much on the Saab over the weekend, but a bunch of parts have come in, so there’s a lot of wrenching about to take place.
Still not sure what made that clatter noise. We drained the oil, but found no metal pieces in it. Cut open the oil filter too, but no clues there, either. Just some crud in the filter pleats, a lot (in my opinion) for the roughly 10 hours of run time that have been accumulated since we got it running (sorry, didn’t take pics). I figure that’s probably just the synthetic blend oil at work, cleaning the engine after about 13 years of sitting. Because of this, I don’t feel bad about giving it an early oil change.
We have a few ideas of what to do next. We’ll poke a borescope into the engine wherever we can find an opening (spark plug holes, oil drain plug, etc.) Might also pull the timing chain tensioner/plug to check how far it’s extended and peek down in there too. Might as well pick up a new valve cover gasket too, and havea look under there to see if there’s any chance that what we heard was a valve spring...
But not only do we intend to move forward with the investigation; we’ve got a bunch of stuff to put back together, too. Gotta wrap up the transmission, now that we’ve drained the oil and identified those broken chips. Got new gaskets for that, and we can wrap up the primary chain cover too. Also have a new mount for that cover to replace the old one that is showing some cracks in the rubber.
Also have to put the clutch assembly back together. It’s getting a new rear main seal (yes, it’s still called “RMS”, even though it’s at the front of the car). The flywheel is getting resurfaced, because apparently new flywheels for this application are unobtanium. New clutch kit, and seals for the slave cylinder and upper primary where the primary/clutch shaft goes.
My brother sprung for an actual clutch spacer tool (for holding the pressure plate in a compressed position for assembly), but once it arrived and I got a good look at it, it looked so ridiculously simple that just for fun I whipped a homemade one up in just a few minutes, using the metal insert of an old wiper blade.
Despite being about half as thick as the proper tool, it worked like a charm on the old pressure plate (this new shop press worked like a charm too!)
Haven’t even taken the tool out of its packaging, and we might not even need it LOL...
Not sure yet how this is gonna work with the new pressure plate, though. It doesn’t have the same tabs sticking out to support the spacer tool:
I hope we can squeeze it in anyway.
Oh, and the new rear wheel bearings came in too! Like I said, lots to do.