The quest to dump my 2012 Ford Fusion continues. I’ve had a few suggestions come along, but I honestly am so overwhelmed with the different possibilities here. Basic (slightly flexible) requirements are:
- Around $10k but definitely can’t go over $15k.
- Has a back seat.
- Preferably a 4 door, but a 2 door with big enough back seat to get two forward-facing car seats in will work too. This would only be for short trips in town, maybe twice a month. If we go on any long trips or anywhere with the whole family, we take the wife’s Odyssey.
- Somewhat equivalent MPG to a 2012 Ford Fusion SEL.
- Manual or dual clutch. I’d accept an automatic for a truck/suv though.
- Somewhat sporty. I’m not doing any track days or anything right now (though the ability to do that would be a plus). I just want the drive to and from work to be a little more enjoyable.
- Comfortable to drive
- I’d also like to have something with a good factory stereo with bluetooth if at all possible.
I’ve looked at a bunch of different cars, but I haven’t been able to test drive anything since there aren’t really any examples for sale locally. I’ll most likely have to travel to test-drive and purchase anything like this. Some cars I’ve considered:
- Subaru Legacy GT
- Mazdaspeed 6
- Mercedes E55 AMG
- BMW 540i (E39)
- Volvo XC90 V8
- Volvo S80 V8 (no option for manual or dual-clutch, but man that V8 sounds nice with an exhaust)
- Mazdaspeed 3
- Ford Focus ST (this would have to be an early year, pretty base trim)
- Ford Fiesta ST (same as the Focus, would have to be an early year base trim)
- Acura TL Type S
- VW Golf GTI
- Subaru Baja XT
- Lexus GS350 (no option besides auto, but I would swap that out)
- Lexus GS430 (no option for manual or dual-clutch, but the V8 sounds would make up for it)
- Audi S4 (B5 or B6)
- Subaru WRX
- BMW 330i (E46)
- BMW 335i (E90/E91)
- VW Jetta Sportwagen
- VW CC 3.6
- Volvo S60R or V70R
As you can see, it’s quite a long list, and I’m very scatter-brained. With the exception of the S60R, I haven’t driven any of these.
And I’m sorry for the long post here. I just don’t know where else to go find such a variety of opinions on a wide range of cars. Oppo is the perfect place for that. The point of this post is basically me trying to whittle down the list based on experiences/knowledge from people who know more about these cars than I do. Then, once I narrow down the list to just a few options, I’ll go out and try and find one to test drive.
So Oppo, what do you recommend? Have a missed anything that I should add to the list?