...well, sort of anyway. I just finished reassembling the freshly rebuilt motor (with some help from my auto tech teacher), and today the good old 390 V8 roared to life again for the first time in months! The above video was taken shortly afterward. I was very excited to get a chance to drive Phoebe home again, even if it’s with a weak not-yet-broken-in engine. But then some old problems returned... it still stalls when turning right, and before I made it out of the parking lot, the engine died. Subsequent attempts to start it were less than successful, with the engine refusing to idle and eventually just running out of gas. I ended up calling my parents to bring some more gas and jump start it, and I managed to limp Phoebe home accelerating at a snail’s pace, braking with my left foot while keeping my right foot on the gas to prevent stalling, and re-starting the engine on every right turn.
So she’s still not quite running well enough to drive, but she’s running nonetheless! And that’s big. Plus, I met someone who was able to diagnose the right-turn problem because they had a truck with the same carburetor and the same problem. Apparently it has something to do with a needle not seating properly and it should be fixable with a carb rebuild.
But PHOEBE LIVES AGAIN!!!