This is a platform for User Generated Content. G/O Media assumes no liability for content posted by Kinja users to this platform.

Miata YUGE Interior Project - Part 2

Part 1 Here

Today, I went to cars and coffee. That was fun but I didn’t get enough of a sunburn, so I decided to work on the Miata interior. I’m up against the clock a little since the car is parked in the street with it’s steering column detached.

Advertisement

I got the old nasty carpet out. The underfelt was moldy/disintegrated/smelled like dog.

Illustration for article titled Miata YUGE Interior Project - Part 2
Advertisement

I actually spent a lot of the time today scrubbing out 30 years of grime and grit. No sense in putting new carpets onto grimy floors. I also finished up my dash repair. It doesn’t look perfect but it’s good enough for me. I’ll post a picture when it’s back in but it’s obvious that there was a crack there previously if you look close enough but overall, the dash appears to be in better condition since it got a fresh coat of vinyl paint.

Illustration for article titled Miata YUGE Interior Project - Part 2
Advertisement

I got the new underfelt in. Strangely, the instruction for the carpet kit showed a RHD car and some of the underfelts go in upside down and are trimmed to be universal. A bit weird, but okay.

Illustration for article titled Miata YUGE Interior Project - Part 2
Advertisement

I got the new upper shift boot on. Looks rad. The rubber portion will show in the new interior.

Illustration for article titled Miata YUGE Interior Project - Part 2
Advertisement

I’m moving my amp from behind the passenger seat into the trunk, so I extended a few wires. Unfortunately, I still have some work to go there but the OEM wire locations (it actually has wire runners along the doors) come in super handy.

When I was nosing around what’s left in the car, I noticed that both these clamps on the air/heat system were 100% loose. Apparently, after all these years, the foam under the clamps had disintegrated and they were just bouncing around. I took some single sided sticky foam that I had from another project and replaced it. TWO MORE RATTLES FIXED. Fuck yeah.

Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Miata YUGE Interior Project - Part 2

You might also notice that I painted the steering column. it had an annoying amount of surface rust. I gave a quick rub, decrease, and rust converter before hitting it with a little silver paint/primer.

Advertisement

No pictures, but I also vinyl painted a ton of trim (door runners, seat belt holders, etc) today. I’m getting pretty close to reassembly. I need to run more wires (for the seat speakers) and extend the RCA jacks for the head unit.

I have to work tomorrow but I’m hoping to check out around 5pm and press on.

Share This Story

Get our newsletter