With the conclusion of my last home improvement project, I’ve moved on to updating the 1990 out of the spare bedroom/study/office and the hallway. I’m now about 1/3 of the way through updating the house.

Unlike the last room, this one wasn’t a completely horrible starting point. The very dark gray wouldn’t have been a color I would pick, and the painted squares that I think might have been imitating windows or some effect like that wasn’t my first choice, but it wasn’t a baby blue room with pink trim. This room functions as our guest bedroom and my computer room. We like the built-in bookshelves, even if the weird trim that someone later added to the original shelves was a frilly detail that doesn’t match anything about the style of the house. It would have to go.

Like last time, emptying the room, removing hardware and trim and tearing out worn old carpet was the first order of business.

Advertisement

Wall repair this time around wasn’t unreasonable, except for around the thermostat. This house was originally built with evaporation cooling, and was switched to conventional A/C in 2006. It also appears to have had at least three different thermostats over the years. There were four blank plates on the wall there, including two covering really small holes that I can’t fathom why someone put a blanking plate over. The end was result was down to only one blanking plate covering the box for the original evaporative cooling switches.

Next up walls got washed and everything got a coat (or two in the case of the dark gray walls) of bonding primer. Because I’m me, painting the closets and ceiling are automatically part of the job. The linen closet with floor to ceiling shelves wasn’t fun.

Advertisement

Painting trim, closets and ceiling came next. With this project done, we’re now up to 1/3 of the house that actually has the same color on the ceiling. All the different shades of white on the ceilings throughout the house bother my sense of order.

Advertisement

Painting walls happened next. The bedroom is painted in a greyish blue called Mount Saint Anne, and the hallway is painted in a greenish/blueish/grayish color called beach glass. This is same wall color used in bathroomlopnick. The ceiling, closet and trim color (that will eventually be uniform throughout the house) is called floral white.

My cutting in around edges by hand has gotten better. With painting done, floors were up next. The 14mm thick laminate wood flooring we selected came out nice in the first bedroomlopnick and was also true this time around. The large number of doorways, the hallway and the angled wall in the bedroom meant there was a lot of cutting this time around. The giant pile o’ boxes of flooring in the dining room is getting smaller.

Advertisement

The last part of the part of the project was the finish work of baseboards, new outlets and switches, face plates, new hardware and a new light fixture. I really dislike baseboards. They never fit back on exactly the same way, so some amount of trimming and fiddling around is required. After that there’s still all the nail holes to fill, caulking and then priming and painting. They end up being a big time sink for such a small part of the project. Finish carpentry is a bitch.

Advertisement

Typing this up makes it sound like a weekend project, but it wasn’t. I did this over 3 or 4 weeks working on it part of the weekends and occasionally in the evening after work. Aside from putting stuff back on the walls, this one is done. I’ve taken a couple of weekends off on the updating after finishing to do other stuff around the house that was neglected while this project was underway, and last weekend was hauling out the boat for the winter and shutting down my parents pool up in Albuquerque. I’ll be back at it this weekend with the closet for the master bedroom.

Someday I’ll get back to playing with the racecar...