Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster

Continuing from my interior work we’re moving back out to the engine bay.

Advertisement

First up was the motor mount situation. The original 76' 350 pontiac the car had had a 3 holes for the motor mount. The new 65' 389 going into the car only has 2 holes for the mount and they are in a completely different spot than the 350.

Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster
Advertisement

So with some backyard engineering a new mount was designed that would allow the new motor to sit in the same location as the old one.

Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster

Made out of some really thick square tubing. These thinks won’t give up easily.

Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster
Advertisement

Test fitting the mounts. As of right now they don’t make any polyurathane mounts for Pontiac cars. However I was able to buy some from some 90's Chevy v8 and then modify them to fit the Pontiac mounts.

Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster

After some edge cleanup and paint.

Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster
Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster
Advertisement

Engine is permanently mounted and sitting rock-solid. Really happy with how these turned out.

Now with the engine mounted in the correct spot we can move on to the next issue; the brake booster touching the valve covers.

Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster

This is because of the roller rocker arms I’m running I had to raise the valve covers up with a spacer to avoid interference. but this of course had it’s own set of issues as they were now touching the booster.

Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster

Luckily I had just scrapped a 90's Chevy 3500 van so I just happened to have a hydrobooster laying around.

Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster

The hydrobooster would give me tonnes of space but it also came with some issues of it’s own.

Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster

Main issue was the mounting plate which didn’t fit the firebird at all.

Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster

But after some small modification

Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Motor mounts, and brake booster

It fit like a charm

The hydrobooster also eliminates another problem I’ve had. With the old engine I ran such a hot cam so I almost never had any vacuum for brakes when I needed it. With the new motor I’m running an even hotter cam so I didn’t expect the vacuum to be any better. A hydrobooster eliminates this problem altogether and I can run it of the original power steering pump so the hp loss will be minimal. 

Share This Story

Get our newsletter