Hello friends, as you know I am recounting my epic road trip. Now we are on Days 8 and 9!

On Day 8 we drove a grand total of 347 kms or 215 miles. We started in the mighty Cape Breton town of “Pleasant Bay” having eaten our eats and had our fill of breakfast we finally decided to make it to our destination from Day 7: Inverness NS. That’s about 100 kms but takes about two hours. You don’t really make great time on the Cabot trail, nor would you want to. It’s a good place to stop often.

It was not a great day weatherwise but the views were quite spectacular.

Leaving the town of Pleasant Bay you immediately begin to go up a hill to a few view points.


This is what Cape Breton looks like. It is very very green with some evergreen trees and apparently some decidious trees. As you can see..it’s not too populated.

Here is looking at the ocean.


This sadly, was pretty much the last photo we took on our trip despite being on the road for two more days. Apparently we suck haha.

Once we arrived in the mighty town of Inverness we had a little walk, called our fathers since it was fathers day that day, and then carried on. The weather wasn’t good enough for beach camping so we just decided to make it a bit further down the road.

As we left Cape Breton across the Casno Causeway back onto the mainland, I had a sad feeling, I knew that we were (eventually) headed back to reality. Luckily we did see one lighthouse right as we left the island.


We then continued onto Truro NS. Since it was pouring rain, I didn’t feel much like going further.


We pulled into Truro, and called it quit for the nights. I was pretty glad I did not camp on the beach as I had originally planned. Guess I lugged all that camping gear for nothing. Oh well.

In Truro we poured some gin and tonics into glasses and went down to the hot tub. The only other people in the pool remarked “these people are so smart they brought water with them to the hot tub”. Yes. Water. That’s what it is :P

When Day 9 rolled around we drove down to downtown Truro to look for coffee. That proved surprisingly hard. Eventually we ended up at some salvation army type place and when we pulled up they asked Rebecca if she was their new employee. No, no she was not.


We then got gas and hit the road. And man oh man did we drive this day. My goal was to go as far as possible, and I think I did pretty well.

We ended up making it all the way to Drummondville QC, which was 1052 kms approximately or about 653 miles. We got started early. The weather wasn’t grand when we got started. Ms Big Bossy Boss fell asleep. I trundled on in the rain. I passed a motorcycle. I was then glad I was not on a motorcycle. I then crossed into New Brunswick (after about 116kms) and Ms Big Bossy Boss woke up. The weather then got worse and worse. But I had no choice, around Moncton it was really bad.


Highway 2 around Moncton is in really tough shape. The slow lane is terrible from all the trucks driving on it potholes everywhere. I think I damaged my tie rod in this area, however I have no proof. All I know is my tie rod began fail about a week later.

After Moncton you then travel through “no mans land” the highway goes about 70 kms (43 miles) where there are no towns, no gas stations, and no exits. You do cross one dirt road at some point though (New Brunswick route 880). Around no mans land the weather improved a bit.

After you get through this part you travel through Canadian Forces Base Gagetown and by then the weather was a lot better. No more rain. We pulled into the mighty town of Oromocto for lunch. It being our last day in Atlantic Canada we had to have Mclobsters from mcdonalds....they aren’t great food...but aside from earlier this year you can’t ever get Mclobsters in the rest of Canada so what the hell.


Shelling out damn near $40 at mcdonalds is surreal but hey, whatever. Pictured: McLobster:

We then drove on. And on and on. We drove all 513 kms (318) miles through New Brunswick. Just before Edmundston, the last town in New Brunswick Rebecca fell asleep. I then (just like earlier) drove across the interprovincial boundary and she woke up once we had crossed into Quebec.


We then drove down some interstate 85 before it turned into the two lane highway 185. The Quebec and Federal government just announced a $400M investment to turn the remaining sections of highway 185 into a 4 lane. It is the last two lane section of the southern transcanada highway in all of Quebec. (Ontario has over 1000 kms of two lane).

This is a long project and even since I was last here in 2012 more of it was 4 laned. Honestly in the two lane section we got caught behind a flat bed hauling a huge mining dump truck, but the section of road isn’t too super long although I think going the other way I did encounter a farm tractor at one point.

Traveling up highway 185/85 you get to go by the town “Saint-Louis du Ha! Ha!” which is a fun name for a town.


Eventually we got back on the 4 lane (when you meet up with Highway 20) and drove further onto the town of Levis, which is across from Quebec City. We stopped for dinner at a place well known to Quebeckers called “St. Huberts Chicken” (Pictured typical delivery car: ). I was a bit nervous because neither me nor Ms. Bigbossyboss speak much french, but Quebeckers in this area are actually pretty nice to the Anglos’ that pass through. My friend who is from Quebec city says it’s because the area is very very french so they don’t feel threatened by Anglo’s and the English language because there is very few of us out there.

We then carried onto Drummondville which was about another hour yet.

I thought we might make it to the far side of Montreal but when Rebecca accidentally bumped me trying to grab something from the rear seat, I felt really cranky about it for no reason (because who cares?) and it was at that point I knew, I had driven far enough in one day.


Thus ends days 8 and 9. Stay tuned for Days 10 and 11 the final days coming up.