So as some of you know, my 88 MR2 Supercharged was having blown head gasket symptoms last week, after only 3 years on a new head gasket. So I dropped the motor and I'm going a full teardown/rebuild on this 215k-ish motor.
Here's where I stopped last night. Motor and trans out of the car, engine on the stand.
Let me tell you how much fun that wasn't. I'd really like to never have to drop the motor on this thing again. Basically, I dropped the engine and transaxle as one piece onto a tire that was on a furniture dolly. I then used the engine hoist to lift the back of the car up and rolled the drivetrain out from under the car.
Today I started the engine teardown. The following is copied from my build thread
New TRD 0.8mm metal head gasket came in today. This will give me a slight bump in compression ratio as well as durability.
Tonight's progress tearing down the motor. Started by removing the SC, so I could remove the intake manifold, so I could get the fuel rail off, so I could remove the wiring harness.
After that it was just a matter of unbolting the exhaust, alternator, all the bracketry, timing belt, and water pump
Then came the valve covers, cams, lifter buckets, and eventually the head (all placed neatly in order)
Which left the block
ARP studs came out and were kept matched with the same nuts and washers in the same order just for OCD's sake.Then the oil pan, oil pickup, windage tray, timing gear, and oil pump all came out to leave just the shortblock
This weekend I hope to have everything fully disassembled, bagged, tagged, and ready to take to the machine shop next week.