Unburying the XJ.
Well I guess it wasn’t all that buried, the wind kept it pretty clear on top. It was just getting it out. Considering it hadn’t been dug out all winter, and the plows had pushed snow across the driveway and no one had bother moving it, it was a bit of an undertaking. I only hacked out a path that was just wide enough to get it out. Obligatory cold start video:
This is part of my moving project. Four days ago I found out I’m moving all the way across two provinces, starting a new job on March 27th. I didn’t realize I owned so much stuff until now. The XJ isn’t coming with me, for now, but I’m stashing my not-too-heavy-to-carry-down-the-basement-stairs Jeep parts stash inside it for the time being, and with it parked the way it was, there was no easy access to the rear hatch without some major excavation made difficult by the Jeep being there. I also needed to rearrange things a bit so I can get the Niva into the driveway in front of it, as it unfortunately won’t be coming with me either, for now. I’m still not sure where I’m leaving the rest of my parts collection, a disk-brake C8.25, D30, and the original 4.0, AW4, and NP231 out of the MJ, considering there’s not enough indoor storage for them and I don’t want to leave them sitting in their yard.
The easiest way to get stuff into the back was to pull it out into the street. This was slightly embarrassing, as my abilities with a manual transmission still aren’t the best, and I stalled it about six times before getting it onto the street. Surprisingly not while getting it unstuck from the snow, but actually once it was out to the end of the driveway and I was actually pulling onto the street. It’s even more embarrassing to stall it when you have to drag out the jumper cables every time because the battery is hosed. It wouldn’t hold a charge for more than a few hours in the summer, and after sitting discharged all winter, well, the battery is kinda round now. In hindsight I shouldn’t’ve left it in the XJ, but we live and learn. Once out on the street I discovered that the stalling wasn’t entirely my fault:
I suppose I should have checked the tires before attempting to move it, but in my defence this one was completely invisible under the snow, you can still see some of the drift stuck to the flare above it. Seriously, I didn’t dig this thing out any more than absolutely necessary. I did drive it around the block on that tire too. My parents don’t have a compressor, so I was heading to the gas station up the street, but then I saw a cop drive across in the direction of the gas station so I turned around. Given the tire, the broken headlight, the fact I’d pulled the PO’s tags off of it, and also that I was sitting on an upturned pail, I figured I shouldn’t be making myself too obvious. After loading up all my stuff in the back (and actually bolting the driver’s seat back in) I stuck it back in the driveway, and managed to knock that tire right off the rim sliding sideways in the snow. Oops. Ah well, it was junk.
Then on the way back to my place in the MJ, this happened:
And shortly thereafter, I hit a bump and the Jeep starting sounding awesome. Or as my neighbour put it, “way too f**king loud.”. But I never much liked her and she won’t be my neighbour anymore two weeks from now, so meh. I crawled under that night to make sure nothing was going to explode. I took the photo in the daylight this afternoon, that’s the downpipe coming off the manifold. I’m not super excited about the self-clearancing action of the driveshaft, but the leak seems mostly due to the nuts making a bid for freedom off the ends of the studs, I guess one of them finally succeeded. So that’s one more thing I’ll have to deal with in the next week, cause I totally didn’t have enough to do as it was. The steel-wool-donut-gasket-thing is screwed, otherwise I’d just have replaced the missing nut and snugged up the remaining one.
So that was a productive day I guess, which makes me feel much better about having accomplished nothing towards moving today.