Let’s start with the progress so far. I’m posting tonight because there’s a 100% chance of rain in the morning which means a 0% chance of more work this weekend.
So, near miss number one. To get the OSB onto the roof, I used a couple of ropes and a ladder. My son was on the ground, providing belay support. I put a cleat at the bottom of the rafters to hold the board in place while I got it aligned and screwed in place. Unfortunately, I used nails instead of screws to hold the cleat in place and they weren’t up to the task. A full sheet of OSB came sliding down. Fortunately, it went between the ladder and the building and neither my son nor the pup were below. Still, it scared the crap out of me.
Near miss number two was considerably less dangerous. During one of my numerous breaks, I happened to look at the mower which is supposed to be houses in this new building. Then I looked at the door opening. Then I looked at the mower. Then back at the door opening. It was then I realized that the door opening is only 4 feet wide. The mower deck is 56” wide without the plastic grass thrower. Whoops. I’m glad I caught it before adding the siding or, even worse, building the doors.
his shows the edge of the inadequate doorway, but it really shows my version of the poor-man’s track saw. It’s a long level with two spring clamps. As long as I measure it correctly and don’t let the saw wander, the cuts are pretty clean and straight.I highly recommend it!
I’m hoping next Saturday is clear. I should be able to finish up the roof then. I’ve discovered I’ll need to borrow a bigger ladder. Mine’s right on the edge being too short.