Not that way, at least.

Illustration for article titled Never Doing That Again
Advertisement

Snagged the 301/TH350 from the ‘79 Esprit parts car’s rusty subframe on a failed pallet, in the least graceful way possible with the proper-ish tools (borrowed from work).

Illustration for article titled Never Doing That Again
Advertisement

My first issue, pictured above, was getting the hoist far enough forward so that it didn’t try to do an endo. Lets not even discuss the other issue, using a ratchet strap to lift the junk. It ended up working, mostly without fault.

Illustration for article titled Never Doing That Again
Advertisement

Yes, the hoist’s rear wheels are about two feet off the ground, and the engine/trans hasn’t budged. Much.

Illustration for article titled Never Doing That Again
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Never Doing That Again
Illustration for article titled Never Doing That Again
Advertisement

Finally a combination of standing on the lift with my 195lbs, some pulling and wiggling, and jacking the crank pulley up to clear the crossmember it came free.

The plan had been to put the whole junk on the pallet with casters, so I could easily move it around to the garage before winter. Since those plans fell apart, and so did the pallet in the snow (not to mention the 600ish pounds of MURICAN METAL) my next plan of action was to simply wheel the hoist into the garage with engine swinging gracefully... no, it did not go as planned.

Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Never Doing That Again

I got it to about... THERE ^

As you can kinda see, there’s a but of a lip from my driveway to my garage.

And a mess of transmission fluid and kitty litter. I’ll get to that in a sec, as there’s a previous picture missing from this timeline for good reason.

Advertisement

Instead of simply dropping the drivetrain, and moving the hoist into the garage to PULL the thing in instead of PUSH, I tried to push first. It did not work.

And when I dropped the mess down to flip the hoist around to pull..... it rolled onto its side. Spilling. Everything. No, Idid not take a pic.

Advertisement

This is why the ratchet strap only KINDA worked. It was just slung under the oil pan, so when the trans hit the side of the hoist’s leg on the way down, it rotated and the whole thing tipped 90 degrees to the left, sliding along the strap.

It WAS. NOT. FUN. getting it back upright. But I did it. Lesson learned. Mess made.

Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Never Doing That Again
Illustration for article titled Never Doing That Again
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Never Doing That Again
Illustration for article titled Never Doing That Again
Advertisement

Now with the hoist on the PROPER end, and some blocks under the oil pan(s) to allow it to slide, I was able to YANK the hoist back, every so slightly sliding the engine and trans into my garage and away from the slope my garage floor has toward the door that kept trying to suck the hoist back out off the lip into the now very messy driveway.

Blocks now sitting under the trans and motor mount plates, I lowered it and its been sitting there for a week.

Advertisement

I’ll get to it, and start tearing it down, starting with separating the trans from the block which in retrospect I should have done BEFORE trying to move the behemoth.

But first I might want to get rid of this junk:

Illustration for article titled Never Doing That Again
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Never Doing That Again

Yes, I also made a mess here. Mostly coolant, as tipping the engine forward unloaded the 20 year old Prestone out of the water pump I should have plugged.

Advertisement

Lesson learned, again.

Share This Story

Get our newsletter