I was bored after work on Friday, so I started making a wood console lid for my Ranger. I had intended to wait until I had a router bit to cut the shape, but I decided to use a cheaper piece of wood and just go for it with the jigsaw. I’ve never used a router before, and I’ve never fabricated anything from scratch for a car before so I figured this would turn out terrible. Some how it turned out great!

I went with a “gun stock” colored stain, as it’s a reddish color and the truck itself is very red. Unfortunately I have to wait a whole week for the polyurethane to fully cure before I can install it. I saved the hardware from the original console lid and measured everything out so that it latches properly. I used two applications of stain, 3 coats of polyurethane. Previously (on other things I have built) I used the stain/poly combo stuff which does not finish nearly as nice.

Below are the progress pics if anyone is interested.

Rough shape checking fit:

Advertisement

Edges routed and hit with 180 grit:

Advertisement

Fitting the hardware & latch (video):

I then sanded the uneven spots on the edges, re routed the edges, and finished with 220 grit before I started with the stain:

Advertisement

Next came the coats of polyurethane:

 

Advertisement

All done!

Advertisement

Advertisement

I still plan to do it over again with a nicer piece of wood as I will be able to make the cut “perfect” with the router, but I am really pleased with the final product for this go around.