I spotted the ad for this scooter on FB Marketplace yesterday. It’s a 2014 Genuine Hooligan 170i, with only 858 miles, but no title. As the designation suggests, it has a 170cc fuel injected engine. Now, I know the Vermont trick, so I don’t really care about the title. The price was listed as $1000 firm.
Now with a title, a grand would be a fantastic price for this scooter. They sticker for $3400 new, and the only other used one I found for sale anywhere near me, was $2k from a dealer. Without a title though, is another story for that price. I figured I’d let the ad languish for a few weeks, and then offer him $750. Well, last night I noticed the price had been changed to $800 obo. I guess that $1000 was as firm as a bag of bread (that term was stolen from lapsed Opponaut Birddog).
This morning I worked up the courage to show the ad to Mrs. Shop-Teacher. She loved the color. I said between the $400 I got for that dirt bike, and if I sold my little 50cc Kymco I bought for a project last summer, that would pretty much pay for this one, and it’s a way better scooter. She gave me the go-ahead to make an offer.
I offered him $700. He said he’d take it, if I could come get it right away. I grabbed an apple for the road, threw my ramps in the truck, and headed to the seller’s house 20 minutes away.
I arrived and he gave me a little tour of the features. The scooter was in pretty good shape. It has some paint scuffs, and a crack in the front fender. The passenger side mirror was missing too. But, it has both keys, the owners manual, and it really did only have 858 miles on it.
I took it for a little test ride, and immediately it was clear that something was very very wrong. It did not want to steer where I pointed it. I pulled over after a block and inspected it closely, wondering if it had been wrecked harder than it appeared, but didn’t see anything that looked out of whack.
I rode back towards his place, and gave it a bit of throttle, wondering if it was better at speed, it wasn’t. I went about a block in the other direction past his place again, and decided to turn around and head home. The rear end started wiggling. I was going very slow, so there was no danger of crashing, but again something was deeply messed up. Then I heard a *pffft* from the back tire. I stopped, and that’s when I realized there was basically no air in the tires. The rear had come right off the bead.
I pushed it back towards his place. When I came into view, he started walking towards me. I told him what had happened, and he helped me push it back the rest of the way.
“Do you still want it?” he asked.
I did still want it, but I smelled blood and went for it. I offered him $500.
“Nah, I’d come down to $650. A new bead for that tire is only going to be like $20.”
Side bar: What the hell does that last sentence even mean????
Not wanting to point out that this statement was nonsensical, I said, “Yeah, but the labor to get it off will be $100. Make it $600 and I’ll take it.”
He agreed, I paid the guy, and we rolled it into my truck.
When I got home, I was able to pop the rear tire back onto the bead with my little air compressor, no problem. I then juiced the tires to the recommended 30 psi, and took a test ride. It was glorious! I’m used to a 10 horsepower Zuma, so 15hp feels really fast to me. It soaks up bumps really nicely, and the dual disc brakes are wonderful. The only problem I’ve found, is the fuel gauge doesn’t work.
This thing is a keeper. I’ve put about 40 miles on it already today, and I’m about to go put some more onto it. I just need to send my registration and my check to the great State of Vermont. Oh, and order a passenger side mirror. I hate not having both of my mirrors.