In my last post, it was Halloween and I had just moved into a house with a 2 car garage and stripped the bike down for a winter rebuild to fix a few things. Now it’s five months later and finally, fucking finally, it’s done.
The reflectors are probably going to find their way into the trash soon but needed to pass state inspection. So, what’s been done?
LED blinker relay
Integrated tail light
New radiator fan
Cleaned, tidied up, and painted miscellaneous odds and ends
A few things such as the new plate mounting location had to be changed a few times to comply with the inspector’s wishes, but its fully inspected, registered in the state, and ready to be run ragged. I’m thinking I will be changing the levers again soon to get a better clutch and brake feel, maybe run some new rearsets as well, but those will probably wait for a while.
I’ve been riding the GSXR when I really needed to just go ride, but since it’s my roommate’s bike, I try to stay away from it.
My garage has been a perpetual mess since I started this whole thing, now it can be cleaned up and we will have a nice place to park both bikes. One thing that did fuck me up was forgetting to put a cover on it while doing some woodworking, I placed the saw output right next to the bike while it was torn down too.... good thing I had the throttle bodies covered cause that almost got bad. I’ve been trying to figure out what to 3D print for the bike, cause that is one thing I put the bike on hold for
Took me 3 hours to clean the sawdust off the bike after building this. Motion sensing LED’s, auto bed leveling, cracked firmware, soon to be upgraded to an all-metal hot end to print nylon. This cheap ass printer has been an absolute powerhouse.
I still have some tuning to do to get the fuzz off of this print, but being able to print dumb shit like a fat thor Pikachu has been amazing.
Back to the Ninja:
I was hoping to leave the grab handles off like in this picture, but alas I am required by law to have them if I have a passenger seat. Time to get rid of that then. So, for those keeping track of this almost 1-year journey, here’s what I had over a year ago:
It went from a full fairing 1000cc sportbike weighing over 500lbs to a naked cruiser almost under 400lbs. The mirror/headlight/speedo mount alone was almost 25lbs and sat right on the front forks. The bike feels so much lighter without the fairings, turn-in is quicker, it did get a little more twitchy but it’s controllable. Now for the fun bit. Since it’s ready to go, I’m going to spend my one-year wreckaversary at the tail of the dragon. My roommate got a truck so we are stuffing the bikes in the back of that and heading down mid-April. I want to put about 400 miles on this setup before going to have a good idea of how the bike handles, and get everything dialed in a bit better. It should be a fun trip!