This weekend I chopped up a HUGE tree that fell into my yard and smashed up ma fence. My last cut was a really big horizontal laying piece. There was no good way for me to both safely position the ladder and stay out of the way of the falling branch. So I decided that I would go for 100% safety on the ladder and get 75% out of the way of the falling branch....
I had all of my gear on, I was very ready for that branch to hit the ladder. It did, and I hopped off the ladder and softly jump shot the chainsaw into a pile of leaves. Still kinda scary. There is still some tree sticking up, but it’s in my neighbors yard and I was lucky enough. I’m all set on the rest of it.
After that it was back to the Depot to get 5 fence rails and some new wire fence, and we’re back! Plus a bunch of firewood and we were forced into clearing all of the brush that backs up to the fence in that particular part of our yard.
I’m continuing to improve and am learning a lot about paint. In particular I learned that my can of red testors spray was all kinds of fucked up. I tried soaking the tip in thinner... no dice. I also learned that the $35 can of BMW Jade green that I bought is fucking amazing to use!!! I started experimenting with clear coat for some decent results. The Tamiya paints are my favorite thus far.
I have been noticing that the better my setup is for modeling, the nicer work I am doing. Beyond the die casts, I like to freshen up things and stuff that needs fresh paint. For instance there is this weird garden yoga frog that was in the “lets get rid of it” box until my daughter found and fell in love with it. It was weathered, so I freshened it up with some more cartoony colors.
I got really anxious last night as people do on Sundays (even during quarantine if you’re me). So I went down to the workshop, turned on the creative juices via medical marijuana then decided to ORGANIZE. I got this idea for a tray for all of my paints, grabbed a piece of scrap wood that looked about the right size and got to measuring (I needed my wife’s help here because I’m stupid). Then I broke out my drill press and “Forstner” bits. Two tools I almost never use! It came out really nice! So much fuckin sawdust. I think I’m going to continue to build on it and make compartments for cars/parts/brushes/rattle cans...
It was too late and I was too bent to start putting the 3D printer together, so I just laid out all of the parts and took inventory 4 times because I kept forgetting which pieces I had “checked off”.
Pics. Happy Monday!