For a little background, see my original post(s).
Here's what I did with before and after pics to follow.
- Took the wheels off the car, removed center caps
- Chipped off as much loose/flaking clear coat as I could with a razor blade
- Scrubbed them inside and out with Dawn dish soap to remove dirt, dust and grease
- Let them dry in the garage overnight
- Stuck 4x6" index cards between the lip of the rim and the tire to catch overspray
- 5 Coats of Plasti Dip True Metallic Aluminum at about 30 min between each coat
- 3 Coats of Plasti Dip Glossifier at the same interval.
- Let them dry for 24 hours and then put the center caps back in and remounted on the car.
I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out given the minimal time and cost. I am a little concerned about durability and keeping them clean as the stuff seems to be very tacky/grippy, but I'll be careful with them and see how it goes.
One thing I will mention as far as procedure is to make your first coat or two a real light dusting. This helps the subsequent coats adhere. For the rest of your coats, do a wet coat with slower, smooth passes. This helps give it a smoother, glossier finish.
All-in-all, not too bad a project.
^Forgot to take an after shot of this one, so this is just after coat 2.