This is a platform for User Generated Content. G/O Media assumes no liability for content posted by Kinja users to this platform.

Postulating a trip in July/August

I’m thinking of a temporary relocation for 2 weeks starting the last week of July and would like your thoughts Oppo.

The tentative plan is to load up the sportwagen and leave here (St Louis) on July 24th and head west ultimately driving to the SF Bay Area Sunday mid-day. Right now this feels safer than flying and while it costs me a few days each way is cheaper too.

Advertisement

Accommodations during the travel portion would likely be me sleeping in my car or a tent at a rest area or other public land. Food would be eaten out of a cooler in the back of the car as well. The sportwagen also is an amazing road trip car getting 45 mpg with the cruise set at 85.

Can’t believe it has been almost a year since my last road trip!
Can’t believe it has been almost a year since my last road trip!
Advertisement

I’m working from home now and plan on doing the same there during the day with the evening left open to explore a bit. The thought here for lodging in the area is probably an AirBnB with a dedicated space with bathroom or maybe an extended stay hotel.

There is a practical purpose for this trip, it’s maybe 20% to take a break from the monotony of the last several months and the rest of the 80% is to explore the area (safely) a good deal. The Mrs and I are planning on moving out there in the next 6 months and while we’ve been to several places in the area don’t know it quite well enough to be comfortable picking an area we want to live in yet.

Advertisement

Mrs Miner hasn’t decided if she’ll come with me or not yet. Boarding the pets would get pretty expensive for that long if we could even find a place to take a large dog and 2 cats. We called a few places already and their answer was either ‘no’ or ‘it’ll be $2500 for that’.

Disclaimer - I have been and will continue to wear a face mask when around anyone I don’t live with and follow all other guidelines on social distancing.

Advertisement

So thoughts are requested my fellow Opponauts - am I crazy for thinking of doing this right now?

Share This Story

Get our newsletter