Hi all and welcome back to the sporadic updates of the 1970 Lotus Europa. Good news the shipment from England finally arrive after much waiting. That meant the custom made windshield is now here. I finally got some time to powder coat the reaming wheels and mount tires on them, and progress was made on fiberglass and modifications. This will be a picture heavy post and apologies for some of the poor quality photos I need to get my dad a better cellphone. As you may remember last time we did some fiberglass supports .

The Windshield being transported, buckle up for safety.
The Windshield being transported, buckle up for safety.
Advertisement

First up we tested to make sure the windshield would fit, being that these are made 1 at a time by a company in the UK and it took almost 4 months to get we were a little nervous. Good news is it fit like a glove.

Nothing like a tight fit
Nothing like a tight fit

In the meanwhile the first of the cooling mods was cut into the side of the car, these vents are right behind the door and will channel the air over the motor. They might not be needed for the 1.6 Renault engine but certainly will be when the Twin Cam makes it way in. Behind the vents tubular fiberglass was added and then covered in carbon fiber for extra support.

Cooling vent
Cooling vent
Advertisement
Vent support.
Vent support.

You can see just how thin the fiber glass body is after the cutout.

Speaking of thin, for extra safety he decided to wrap the aftermarket Aluminium gas tank with carbon fiber for extra puncture protection. Since this is located so close to the rear wheel and side of the car it only made sense.

Advertisement
Carbon Everything
Carbon Everything

The last thing before the body got flipped over was to check what modifications are needed for the new lights that will be installed. Extra points to anyone who can figure out what car they are from.

Advertisement
Lights camera,
Lights camera,

Having a light with an integrated turn signal means that those ugly marker lights seen to the left of the head lamp can be removed. The current plan is to turn them into the fresh air ducts for the AC/Heat for the car and possibly diverted to cool the brakes as well. Now that all the top side work is set for the time being it became time to flip the car over and clean up the bottom. Plenty of spider cracks existed on the bottom side of the body so a layer of CF was placed over the whole underside.

Advertisement
The resin was dyed black to look for cracks.
The resin was dyed black to look for cracks.

Once that dried it was time for some spray on undercoating. Both for protection and sound deadening.

Advertisement
So Clean looking
So Clean looking
Illustration for article titled Progress (Lotus Update)
Advertisement

You can see the front passenger side damage in this picture, that will be completely remade in the next step. Now that the underside is done, I can finish up the suspension and the body can drop back onto the frame for final tweaks. This will ensure that any repairs made on the body wont cause misalignment on the frame.

Now I did say I finally got around to finish powder coating the wheels, I left one of them Red to be the spare as it had the most dents in the lip, (also no way I was stripping that paint off).

Advertisement
Tape Tape Tape..
Tape Tape Tape..

It took roughly an hour to tape up each wheel, then it was 30 min to do the inside, 20 min to cool and 30 min to do the spoke area. Then 40 min to cool down so that tires could be mounted and balanced. All in I spent about 7 hours working on powder coating 3 wheels and mounting balancing 5 tires.

Advertisement
Spray Spray Spray
Spray Spray Spray
Finished Product. Note the red spare.
Finished Product. Note the red spare.
Advertisement

Later today I will be attempting to break apart the rear suspension so it can go out for media blasting so stay tuned for more updates.

Share This Story

Get our newsletter