This post is much over due, since the first post about this project is from mid-2017, but through a interest of bicycles from my oldest child, I decided it was about time I fixed up the 1959 Schwinn Corvette I had out back.
Firstly, lets talk about what changes I made. I disconnected the brakes and the Sturmey-Archer 3-speed shifter and flipped the handbars to the original 1959 position. The previous owner seemed to have set the bike up for the road (hence, why the handlebars were upside in that road bike setup, and the seat was way too high for me). Naturally I also lowered the seat (which is original from what I can tell, and is in surprisingly really good condition).
I also disconnected the bottle dynamo for the time being. I had to look it up, but the bottle dynamo rubs against the tire sidewall, generating electricity for the front and rear lights. As of writing this, the dynamo hinders and slows down the rear wheel; so I’ll be taking it apart and cleaning at a later date. My first priority is getting this bike usable first, and the ‘fun stuff’ can come later.
I cleaned up the chainring only to discover the layer of dirt and filth on it acted like a protective layer! Unintended bonus! I also tightened all the spokes, which took as long as you’d expect.
In the end, I spent a good length of time last Saturday doing everything that involved tools and elbow grease. What’s next is getting a few extra parts to make this bike really shine. I want some handlebar grips, but I’d prefer something close to stock; but that’s a matter of shopping around for the best prices. The part I’d really like is the Sturmey-Archer cable guide pulley, which guides the shifter cable so it doesn’t rub up against anything. I can find it online, but not for a cheap price (<$15) from a source I recognize. The brake cables need to be replaced, as they are probably the original ones. They are usable and functional for the moment; the brake pads on the other hand are no good.
Now to save some money to buy the parts I need....