I decided to get some things done in the garage now that I have seemingly infinite time sheltered with my own thoughts. My 63 Oldsmobile 98 (The Oldz) has a tired, smokey and greasy engine and I have a smattering of collected gaskets and a whole other 394 that I have never heard running. I should do something! I’m figuring between the two I can make one work. This thing might be moving by the time the country is if we are all lucky.
Budget of this build:
- Whatever I have in the shop. Beer mostly.
Supplies of this build:
- Whatever I have in the shop plus paint and maybe more beer.
Parts of this build:
- Whatever I have in the shop.
- I have two complete “running” Oldsmobile Starfire 394's with #23 heads. One runs on 2 cylinders, the other has not been run since the 80's judging by the oil filter. This is the one I am gonna refresh and send.
- Gasket set that is (x% ?) complete. Head, intake, oil pan and carb gaskets there at least I can see
Heads are off, valves are out after miraculously finding my buddy’s valve spring compressor in my shop.
Valve lapping before/after:
Repeat times 16 and by the last one, I think I had the hang of it.
Next up oil pan gasket, no gloves. Don’t touch face.