So earlier today I was excited about potentially buying a ZHP today. It seemed like it was priced a bit high but within the ballpark to reach a deal. Seller was happy to oblige to a PPI and I was awaiting results from the test this morning.
Well, I heard back from the mechanic. His words – “stay away
from this car, or don’t pay a dime over $2k for it”.
Here’s a list of issues that were identified.
- Rattle from engine is NOT VANOS – could be a
timing chain issue or something else internal/more serious
- Engine mounts are cracked
- Oil pan gasket is leaking
- Oil level is low (dude, who doesn’t check oil
levels before sending a car you’re trying to sell for an inspection???)
- Power steering pressure hose is leaking
- Both air filters are “filthy”, should be
- Rear differential bushings are cracked
- Front passenger side shock looks new (on side
where fender was replaced from a “parking lot accident”) while others appear
original and in need of replacement
- Tire damage on same side, with a bulge from
where it probably had some kind of impact
- Front sway bar mount is bent, likely from when
car was hit
- PCV hoses are all soft and ready to break,
should be replaced
- Thermostat, coolant hoses, expansion tank, water
pump etc. all appear original and should be replaced shortly
- Brake fluid has moisture, should be replaced
- Rear brakes have ~25% life left
Some of them are wear items that could be done over time,
some things I could do myself…but in general, indicative of a car that hasn’t
been maintained and used with a “well it didn’t seem broken, so I didn’t fix it” attitude, which is a pretty bad way to maintain an aging BMW.
Lesson learnt, $150 well spent! The search continues…