Been a while since I updated y’all on my valiant battle I’ve been waging against the rust on my range rover. I’ve made significant progress over this winter and today I finally wrapped up the last of the welding, and have coated everything in a layer of chassis saver paint.
The pictures do not even begin to represent the amount of hours I have spent working on this. Rust repair is messy, repetitive, and time consuming work. Once you have everything apart, it’s always worse than you thought and you have to really take a lot of precautions to make sure the rust doesn’t come back. My welding wasn’t great, but got a little better on some of my later patches. Overall I estimate I cut, welded, grinded, and painted ~25 patches.As I have said before, DON’T BUY TRUCKS FROM WISCONSIN!
As a reminder, this is how the Driver’s side looked once I pulled all the carpet up and started cutting.
Pretty bad, and the outer sill was bad for the first two feet or so. WOOF.
So after extensive cutting, we were left with this:
Had to purchase the outer sill and A-pillar base from a company in the UK. All the other pieces were just formed out of 18 gauge cold rolled steel sheets with an angle grinder and a hammer.
After much welding overhead and otherwise, we’re left with this mess.
In the meantime, you always find more rust as you go, and the B-pillar sill area needed to be patched. Luckily, I had and extra piece of sill and this wasn’t difficult to make a strong repair.
It all looks much better after it’s covered in chassis saver.
So today, I finished the welding in the cargo area and the right rear seatbelt mount which was the last pieces that needed it. I have so much re assembly ahead of me, but it feels good to be done with the endless cycle of welding/grinding/painting.
So, now all I have to do is put seam sealer on the underbody welds. Put the interior/carpet/seats back in, put the front fender/cowl/grill/hood back on. Pretty much almost nothing