The SCG 003 is a no-frills, modular supercar which utilizes a carbon fiber chassis, an HPD-derived 3.5L twin-turbo V6, and bespoke DOT taillights which cost as much as a F430. But you already knew all of that. Here are six things you didn't know about James Glickenhaus's latest brainchild.
1. Legal road-going cars require mirrors - plain and simple. The problem with automotive mirrors is that they are usually wildly aerodynamically inefficient. The SCG 003's solution? According to a Shmee150 tour led by James, SCG designed the mirrors first and foremost to "trim out the wake turbulence of the wing." Cameras placed in the mirrors help serve the conventional function of the mirrors sending video to screens on each side of the steering wheel.
2. While the latest supercars' gauge clusters are hell-bent on providing drivers with every last detail about the cars, the 003's is not. James attempted to build a sort of "jet fighter smart dash" which focuses on telling the driver only what he/she needs to know - current gear, speed, and when to shift. If there is an issue with oil pressure, temperature, or the like, it will alert the driver. If not, there's no reason to know.
3. Perhaps my favorite feature, the 003 contains one large air vent on the dash. According to James, "for a bit of nostalgia, that is an original air vent that was used in the Ferrari P4." Since James owns two of four P4s, he simply removed one of his, reverse engineered it, and 3-D printed it so that it is a perfect duplicate.
4. There are three gauges next to the fuel fill. The top gauge indicates fuel levels. This is especially useful in race trim as it reduces the risk of fuel spills. The middle gauge indicates oil levels. The bottom gauge indicates what position you are in a race because racecar.
5. In race trim, the 003 sports 18" wheels at all four corners. In street trim, it sports 19" front and 20" rear wheels. However, the overall dimensions of the track wheels and tires and road wheels and tires are exactly the same. This means that a street trim car can swap to the sticky race wheels and tires at the track and still enjoy perfect handling characteristics.
6. It's not uncommon for performance cars to include a fire extinguisher with purchase. What about a leaf blower? Every race trim 003 sold comes with an "in pit blower." Fans are included with purchase of road cars. NOTE: SCG employee Sal not included.