This was one of those special moments in life where you realize that the ideal gas law applies to every day life.
It appears the temperature rose enough inside the car to cause the pressure inside the can to exceed the maximum pressure rating. Although I did not get to witness the explosion, the aftermath wasn’t as bad as one would expect. A wet rag and a roll of paper towels was all I needed to soak up the excess and clean up any sticky residue. There was a significant showing in the console area but hardly any made it onto the seats. The only switch to be splashed was the auto stop/start switch. The gear selector was clean and dry despite being right next to the can.