The weekend is almost upon us and I’m trying to get motivated to work on some stuff. I figure I’ll make a list to provide some accountability, so I encourage all of you to be disappointed in me when I don’t finish these.
In April of 2018 our, for lack of a better term, “Adventure Group” completed the eastern half of the Oklahoma Adventure Trail. The route took us through the Ouachita Mountains and down the Kiamichi Trail. At the end of it, we were sure of one thing: we would be back. This weekend was the first re-visit of many.
I got some fun alone time with the Discovery this weekend, and made a few uhh...
discoveries findings. I know it sounds weird to have “alone time” with a car, but usually when I am in it I am going from A to B without a lot of spare time. Saturday was lazy and I was mildly hungover, so I kinda just puttered around…
A little over a year ago, I did a stupid and bought a 2001 Land Rover Discovery 2 from a shady used car dealer. What was supposed to be a holiday romance ended up being a long term relationship. Here is how it has gone so far.
I had a rather ambitious weekend planned, full of cars, car repairs, and the answer to last week’s puzzler. While I didn’t complete most of what I intended to, so I did get the Disco back on the road!
Right front speed sensor erratic; Shuttle Valve failure; ABS CPU Ground Fault; (Or something like that)
Over Easter weekend our, for lack of a better term, Adventure Group, set off to complete the eastern half of the appropriately named “Oklahoma Adventure Trail.” It was to be 900ish miles overlanding though rural Oklahoma, seeing the sights along the way. No! Keep reading! Don’t scroll past!
Last night, as I picked up my wife’s car from our friendly neighborhood mechanic (the only guy in town who works on Volvos, apparently)... I saw this. Staring at me. Beckoning with is massive lights: “come on mate, let’s go exploring!” So I asked the owner of the garage the story behind this lovely Disco II and he…
On Saturday I began road tests of the Disco following the head gasket job. After blowing a transmission cooler line and subsequently fixing it, I am happy to say the Land Rover is once again stalking the roads of Oklahoma. And what better way to celebrate than to take it to an off-road park!?
Contrary to my updates, I actually have been working on the Disco every damn day since I first raised it from the dead. Unfortunately, this has involved significantly more metal fabrication that I would have liked.
I can barely believe it, and I am certainly waiting for the other shoe to drop, but the Discovery rose from the dead last night.
I was a man with a mission this weekend and nothing was going to stop me from finishing this damn project. Nothing... except me.
Last night I did a good! As my helper was AWOL, I figured I’d tackle the radiator replacement (after I broke the inlet doing a pressure test) and might even be able to get it done in one go.
What a giant pain in the butt! (Warning: photo heavy)
Ok, now the Land Rover is actually officially as disassembled as it is going to be. No more.
Every evening I walk into my garage, look at the pile of parts on the table, look at the car, and think “there is no way those two will ever go back together.”
... has to be the one of the most frustrating parts of working on a car. Spent at least an hour looking for this bastard. (Throttle body heater.)
...bailing wire is not a hose clamp. Innovative cowboy repair, I will admit.
It has begun! All of my tool hoarding, all of my “oh I can probably do that”, and all of my “that leak doesn’t look too bad”-ing has led to this moment. We pulled the heads on the Disco.
Ok. Lock, singular. But still. Before proceeding with ordering the stuff needed to install the diff lock linkage on the Landy, I wanted to confirm I actually had the hardware. This proved oddly difficult.