The plug wires on the Raider started to pull apart when I had to remove them to remove the valve cover, so I ordered a new “premium” Beck Arnley set from RockAuto. Cheap because wholesaler closeout, so I was expecting old, but this box was still an entertaining surprise.
Here’s how smoothly it’s running now that I’ve got some miles on the new lifters. Still a tiny tick, and the odd stumble, but so much better than before.
I forgot to take a before video of how loud the ticking was, but it’s a huge improvement. I’ll take a video later today of how nicely it’s running now. The ones I replaced them with have a 3mm oil hole instead of 2mm, and now it doesn’t sound like an angry sewing machine with some hammering thrown in.
One of them has started sticking and ticking badly, and from what I’ve read it’s not an uncommon thing for them to fail around this age/mileage.
Between the sudden heat we’ve been getting, and being subjected to heavy traffic, the Raider has been running warmer, and going through coolant. There isn’t any coolant in the oil, no white exhaust, no puddles underneath, nothing else that would point to a head gasket issue or a leak. I’m not sure where it’s going,…
I changed the alternator and fan/water pump belt, which was shedding rubber and intermittently squealing horribly. I did find that the alternator pulley squeaks a little when you spin it, so I won’t be surprised if the horrible squeal comes back. The alternator is under the AC compressor for some reason, and…
Edited to replace a weirdly corrupted photo with a fixed one/repost for daytime crowd
*....more like a month, really
$145 well spent I think, and the silica canister has been soaking up what moisture was left inside.
Now I just need to buy or make an axle locknut socket and once the weather improves I’ll swap some hubs.
I got a Budge Rain Barrier cover for SUVs up to 162”, off Amazon. So hopefully it holds up well. It’s supposed to rain and snow over the next week, so it’ll be a good trial for it.
This thing had a new windshield like 5 years ago....
It’s as dry as I can get it, just still some dampness in the footwell insulation. My steering wheel is back together and the horn is working properly, thanks to a random very nice dude from the Monteros USA Facebook page who mailed me a spare horn pad he had lying around.
During my wanderings yesterday, I went to a cool industrial area to take some pictures, and then realized that it’s still smokey, so everything looks hazy and dull. So I just took some pictures of the Raider instead. I was tempted to take it in amongst the railway tracks, but since they’re semi-active, I decided…
I don’t know if the shocks in this thing were original, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were. It’s floppy and wallowy, heaves forward between shifts, and dives badly under braking. New KYBs were cheap from RockAuto, and are the best thing you can get for these trucks without going all out with Bilsteins or Old Man…
Hopefully I’ll get around to them this weekend, as well as finally making some sort of bracket for my swaybar.
That’s a fair amount of fender gap
Replaced the washer pump. The reservoir was hilariously easy to remove, it just lifts out.
I was bored last night so I went for a drive, and brought my camera.