On Craigslist, there’s always been a scam; a scam so universal that it is practically ‘The Scam”. For someone selling one car, you might get this text maybe once or twice a week. I get these texts about 4 to 5 times a day now. Lucky me.
“The Scam” works in 6 parts
- The scammer uses a non-local phone number
- The scammer uses your ad’s title verbatim
- The scammer agrees to buy in full price, sometimes more.
- The scammer is buying for someone else
- The scammer will be using check/PayPal.
- The scammer will have shipping arranged for you.
Normally, I just ignore these texts. It wasn’t until recently that I discovered there was an actual person behind the messages and not an some sort of automated system. So lately, I’ve decided to have a bit of fun and played along.
As it turns out, these scammers have no knowledge of American pop culture, so my test now is to see how absurd I can make the lies. I’ll have more to update coming soon.