I've noticed that the performance on Kinja based sites is just terrible now. It's to the point where I can hardly use the sites on my iPad and I used to write long posts on that device. Even on my Mac, the performance is lagging these days. So I turned off any browser extensions and did some basic troubleshooting.
Firstly there seems to be a hostname error in one of the many, many tracking scripts that runs on the page.
That hostname is just, well, wrong and it causes timeouts in the lookups for it. Seeing this I decided to run the W3C validator on the page and HOLY MOLY!
Oppo fares a bit better with only 131 errors, but still. Damn.
I may fire up remote Safari debug on the iPad if I have time and I might get a more web-savvy developer to take a look as well.