Now that the third Oppo Endurance Championship is finished, it’s time for a one-off event to kick off the new year. So, I present the 4th annual Oppositelock Forza 7 2.4 Hours of Daytona. In this post, I have all of the specifics, including time and eligible cars, for this race. You can also begin to sign up for the race in this post.
As with past races and series, this race is certainly not a place for overly competitive racing or extremely aggressive racing. If you’re spending hours tuning your car weeks before a race you’re doing it wrong. If you’re racing purely to win you’re doing it wrong. Just have fun with it. People race in cars sponsored by Doug Dimmadome, finish the race in reverse, and do impromptu Le Mans starts. We’re pretty chill and just talk about cars and banter a lot of the time. That doesn’t stop us from having some great racing, though.
It is open to anyone and everyone. It doesn’t matter how good or bad you are at the game. We have people of all skill levels regularly race with us. It results in some great racing, too. These whole series, especially the endurance races, are some of the most fun I’ve ever had in Forza. Here are some pics and video from the previous Daytona races showing the action.
This race will mimic the races of IMSA at Daytona over the past 5 years. Cars were selected from those events that actually raced, or as close of a substitution as I could get. The race will be 2.4 hours in length. Beforehand, there will be a ten minute qualifying session to set the grid. At the start of the actual race, there will be a formation lap. Yellow flag and caution rules will also be in effect.
They will be handled the same way as any of our other races. Drive like you are in an actual race, and not an online public matchmaking lobby, and you will be fine. If you are new to racing with us or need a refresher, take a look at SVTyler’s post on driving etiquette. This will give you a general idea of what to expect. I also have my own rules outlined later in this post.
Also, instead of using parties or gamechat, we are going to be using an app called Discord to communicate during the races. It is available for free on any desktop or mobile OS. Please join the Discord server even if you don’t have a mic, that way you can still hear everyone else. Or just join it for the dank shitposting. If for some reason we are not using the app or it fails, we will be using gamechat to communicate, and hoping for the best.
THE TRACK AND SCHEDULE
Here is the current schedule for the race. As with previous years, the race will be held in early January. This has worked well in the past so it should work this year as well. In addition, since Daytona has a night/weather option, there will also be a poll to determine which version of the track to race.
January 11th, 8:00 PM EST: Daytona Full (TBD); 2.4 Hours (Endurance)
- We will be racing LMP2, Daytona Prototype, GTE, and GT3 race cars for this race broken into 3 classes: P, GTLM, and GTD
- GTD will be limited to RORA-rated Gold, Silver, and Bronze drivers (If you don’t know what RORA is and/or you don’t frequently top TORA A lobby races, you most likely can race in GTD)
- DRIVER COUNT WILL BE LIMITED TO 24 UNLESS THERE IS UNPRECEDENTED INTEREST (40+)
- In the event that there are more than 24 racers, people may volunteer to opt out, or the drivers will be chosen based on sign up order and/or how often they race with Oppo
- There will be a set build for each car that you must match
- Races will use a lap counter, but the race end will be determined by time elapsed and not laps completed
- Damage will be set to simulation
- Collisions will be set to always on
- All assists (minus friction and collision assist) are allowed
- ALL DRIVERS MUST BE ON DISCORD FOR THE RACE. You do not need to talk, but you need to hear what is being said.
- Pit lane is always open no matter what.
- Forza Race Regs will be used in order to get rid of tire walls.
- The race lobby will be opened 10-20 minutes before the race
- The earlier you are online the better
- Once in the lobby, please do not leave if you intend to race
- Qualifying will begin promptly at the posted race time or as soon as possible after that time
- Damage will be set to fuel and tires and collisions set to always off
- The session will last ten minutes
- Once flying laps start, radio silence will be enforced
- Results from this will be used to set the grid for the race.
- Qualifying is not required
- Not participating will immediately move you to last place for the race start
- After the grid is set and all players have readied up, the race will be loaded
- There will be a formation lap, with cars single file at 80 mph
- If there is a disconnect or a game glitch during the formation lap, a lobby restart may occur if the disconnected driver(s) request it. This may only be done a maximum of two times unless there are extreme circumstances.
- If a driver leaves the controller but does not disconnect during the formation lap, the formation lap will continue without them. If they are parked at a dangerous point on track, the formation lap will continue until they return. Note that deliberately parking in a bad spot will result in a penalty.
- Once cars reach the final turn, they will form up two by two
- Class leaders have pick over which side of the track they get
- The race start is for each individual car when they reach the start/finish line
In Race Etiquette
- Lower class cars have the absolute right to hold and use the racing line when a higher class is approaching/passing, if they decide to do so
- Lower class cars should hold the inside line on the oval when a higher class is passing. If all 3 classes are passing each other,
god help yoube mindful and cautious and try to give way to the higher class as much as possible
- It is VERY HIGHLY ENCOURAGED that drivers communicate during passes
- If you are in a higher class and stuck behind lower class traffic, be patient and do not force your way through, and DO NOT DIVE BOMB GT CARS.
- The only thing that will happen if you try and weave through several side by side cars is a crash. Just in general, do not try a high risk maneuver. Be patient and let passing opportunities create themselves.
- Refer to cautions as “be carefuls” unless a caution actually needs to be called
- If the phrase “race control” is called, all drivers will be silent apart from the person who said it. This is to be used for serious questions or concerns
- Do not discuss the events of a caution or race incident until after the race unless told otherwise
- There are no blue flag rules, but excessively holding up cars while a lap down is frowned upon.
- Be careful when exiting pit road as to avoid oncoming traffic, fast or slow moving. USE THE BLEND LINES WHEN POSSIBLE.
- It is expected that all drivers will follow and obey track limits.
- General rule is 2 wheels on track at all time. Curbs are considered part of the track in the race
- .Driving backwards on the track is not permitted at any point.
- TL/DR: Don’t be a dick
- Credit for the original rules goes to r/redditracing, as I’ve only made minor changes.
- For a caution to be called, a TWO CAR wreck must have occurred with at least one car HAVING SUFFERED DAMAGE in which cars either spin, flip, take significant damage, or lose serious time off track.
- One of the involved drivers and/or a witnessing driver must call the caution.
- When a caution is called, the race leader should slow to 60 mph IMMEDIATELY to allow the field to catch up
- The race leader will also assume the role of pace car unless there is a pace car present in the race.
- ABUSE OF THE CAUTION CALL WILL RESULT IN SEVERE PENALTY.
- There is no passing under caution with one exception. Any and all cars that are not on the lead lap may make ONE lap up under yellow. However, they may not pit to repair damage if they take the free pass, and they may not pass for position while doing this.
- There is also no guarantee that a free pass car(s) will catch the tail end of the field before green.
- The pits will remain open for the full duration of the caution.
- Restarts will be single file at the start finish line unless otherwise specified.
- There is a 5 minute cool down period after a caution where another caution cannot be called. If there is an incident involving a large amount of vehicles during this time, this can be overruled.
- Once there are less than 10 minutes left in the race, no cautions can be called.
- All drivers will continue racing until the total race time is completed (2.4 hours)
- Once the the total race time is reached, the overall leader will call white flag (final lap)
- All cars will continue racing and completing laps during this time
- Once the overall leader crosses the line after white flag is called, they will call checkered flag, the race will be over, and they will park in turn 1
- After checkered flag is called, all cars will finish the lap they are on and also park in turn 1
- Cars cannot be in pit lane when they take the checkered flag.
- Once parked, all cars will remain stationary while results are collected.
- Once results are collected, the remaining laps will be completed. Drivers may choose to leave at this point
- Any in race cautions or incidents can be discussed
- If you feel an incident needs investigated, DM me what happened with relevant clips and I will address it
- Replays will be uploaded by myself and/or others
- Any drivers may stick around for more racing if they desire
CAR LIST AND BUILD RULES
Listed below are the cars that are eligible for both classes as well as their respective build rules. If it is not listed, it is not eligible for the race. However, if you think I forgot a car or want to plead a car’s case, leave a comment on this post on why you think that car should be included. I’m pretty sure every possible car was included, but if you have an idea of something to add I’m all ears.
To make the field more diverse and for better pictures, custom made or storefront paint jobs, and unique numbers for each driver are highly encouraged. While all cars should have a race number, it may be too difficult to organize everyone having their own number, but try and give your car a unique paint job to help it stand out. Also, if you paint your car as something that it is not, like painting the Ford Riley as a Honda Riley, and want it recognized as such, please let me know or make it obvious in the design so I can name it as such in the post races. Otherwise, it will be denoted as whatever it is in the game.
Some Other Important Notes
- I have tested and will be testing all of the cars extensively to make sure they are as even as possible. In addition, I will keep testing them up until race day to make sure there weren’t any inconsistencies in my original testing.
- The build rules for any and every car are not 100% set in stone and may be changed at any point for re-balancing of the field. Do not expect changes the week of the race unless there is a major issue.
- Custom rims are allowed on all cars so long as some rules are followed. Due to the build rules, the rims cannot change the PI of the car. For example, if the PI is P993, the PI must stay that way after the rims are added.
- Team liveries are allowed and encouraged, though try to keep a consistent car manufacture. A max of 4 matching liveries per “team” are allowed.
- I am legally required to say don’t break Xbox Terms of Service with your livery. However, my general rule is anything goes that is not sexually explicit or overly offensive. Therefore, tobacco and alcohol sponsorship are allowed. Though if you get banned by Xbox, don’t say I didn’t warn you.
- Wwaveform and Plankton are making number boards and logos for the series. They are not required but VERY HIGHLY encouraged.
- Special thanks to everyone who has helped test cars for this series.
If you are participating in this race, please click the link below to complete a very brief survey so I can keep track of who signs up and their gamertags (the only information required is your gamertag and Oppo and/or Reddit username). Also, if you sign up and for whatever reason are not sent a friend request by me, feel free to send me one as well as a message indicating that you intend to join the series. My gamertag is Corey CC97. In addition, you can get in contact with SVTyler (GT: mackleroy45) or anyone on the Discord if you do not hear from me, and they will get you set up. If you do not complete the survey or get in contact with me or the other people racing somehow, there is a very good chance you will not be sent an invite to the race on raceday.
I will be posting reminders for the race frequently with links to this post. If you have questions, please leave a comment on this post or one of the reminder posts.