Assembled here are the best Oppositelock posts from Friday through Sunday. It includes BMW's new sports hybrid, WRC Argentina, the Spanish Grand Prix and your next car.
The BMW i8 is a lot like the Mazda RX8 - carwitter
This has been a busy week in the automotive world. Those who aren't test driving the LaFerrari or BMW i8 are paying attention to those cars now. Before, I wasn't the biggest fan of hybrids. Early Prii doomed the hybrid name. I have slowly turned on that opinion. The BMW i8 made that opinion completely change. Read more…
WRC Argentina: Day 1 summary (SS1-SS5) - FreddsterExprs, the W108 guy
It's WRC's second trip to South America, and Argentina welcomed the teams with its best impression of British conditions: Wet and muddy, making the already difficult stages even harder to pass. Read more…
Technically Formula 1 - Spanish Gran Prix - Fractal Footwork
Technical innovation is what makes Formula 1 so different from any other form of racing. The on track action is as much played out by the engineers and aerodynamicists as it is the drivers. We are here to admire, study, and discuss this beauty that exists on the ragged edge of what we think is possible, or at least what we thought was possible. Read more…
You know how you all get into a groove and you're stuck on a particular make or model or body type for a while. All you can think about is that one car. You search local classifieds and Craigslists for that one perfect car. You go on that car's forums to see buying and ownership tips. It happens to all of us - be it lifted Jeeps, P71 Crown Vics, Miatas, wagons, JDM imports, E39 M5s or whatever else you may be into at the moment. Then after a few days or weeks of constant desire, something clicks and you move to the next desire. Read more…
BMW i3 Review - Road Magazine
If you'd have approached me a few days ago and asked me which BMW model I'd pick to drive out of their entire range, I'd have picked the electric puppy that you and I know as the i3. For me, it's the most exciting car of recent memory and something that I feel very drawn to. Maybe it was because I'd heard so many people sing it's praises already, or maybe it was the excitement of driving something more futuristic than what I'm accustomed to. Let me tell you something right off the bat; when I did get to drive it, I wasn't disappointed. Read more…
A Great 5 Year Plan for the 1970 - Groagun
While some criticism has been leveled at Sergio Marchionne, now and in the past, for the most part he is hailed as the 'golden boy' of auto executives. I'm not in the praise and 'God' making business so let me start the tear down. Read more…
I Have Driven a 2015 WRX - Neal Norman
And can confirm that it is, in fact, a car. Much like many other cars, it has 4 wheels, which are round. In this case, they are all powered. It has 4 doors, which makes it a sedan. Were this a BMW, it would probably be labelled as a coupe. But thankfully, it is not. They open and close with a thunk I would describe as reassuring but not-quite-German. Read more…
Chinese Dealer Punished for Spreading Sales Limit Rumors - Automatch Tom
According to a Bloomberg report, a Chinese dealer incited a sales panic when he allegedly told buyers that Nanjing would be imposing restrictions on auto-sales. In order to alleviate traffic congestion and pollution, many large cities in China set quotas on how many new vehicle registrations are allowed, which in turn limits the amount of new cars that can be sold within that time period. Read more…
A really fast Jeep - Torque Affair
I'm normally not a big fan of SUVs, but this one I really liked...the 2014 Jeep Cherokee SRT8. I rarely ever see these around. 470 hp, all wheel drive with tons of goodies. Here's just a few - heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel (that's a first for me to come across), reclinable rear seats, a media center with everything you can think of, various kinds of ride modes...and the list goes on and on. Read more…
2014 Mercedes C300 Review - Ricorich196
I've been long term renting [read Leasing] my C300 Sport for about 3 weeks now and figured it would be nice to share my thoughts… This is my first car after using my family's car since I've had my license. My current family car is a 2002 Honda CRV so every single thing about this car is 100x better. I won't be using a number grade since it won't even be fair. Read more…
The Best of the Rest
Davlac89 shared some of his photography exploits. Louros attended Red Bank C&C. Twinturbobmw took photos at Portland C&C. CrzRsn visited Parking at Pasteiners. Trevor Mohr got some swag from VW. Briannutter1 took 7 records at the ECTA Standing Mile. Burglar killed cones in his Beetle. VincentvanCabrioW took some more photos of his VW Cabrio. Zipppy saw a classic Grand Prix. Cherry85ss showed off some of his dad's cars. Eric went to a car show. Joshua Gilbert photographed some VWs. B_Dol went on a little cruise. Jsmizira took a cruise to Santa Cruz. Jkm7680 spotted a VW Golf Plus in the US. SnapUndersteer autocrossed his e36 M3. K-Roll brought his dad's 911 to Woodward. Velocity enjoyed Formula Drift at Road Atlanta. Reigntastic redid his intercooler piping. HondasFordsVolvos went field bombing in his old Accord.
As always, If I've missed something and you would like me to include it, let me know.
There were several posts that asked questions and sparked some good conversation between Friday and Sunday. Take a peek and chime in on some of those listed below:
- Concepts that should have been
- BMW owners dislike stance apparently
- Find Cheapest Car Game Part 2: San Francisco
- What's The Funniest Garage Moment You've Had With Your Buddies?
- Coolest Car In A Random Ass Town - Slough, England
- So let's talk about all these AWD sports cars...
- What year would you go to if you had this?
- Exhaust: Rice or not?
- Which would you rather? BMW edition
- Looking for Supporters for a Month-Long #24LM Journo-Marathon
- What Car Would you Buy Absolutely Base?
- What would YOU get for $116,000?
- Gearhead Confessions
- Show me all your cars!
- Anyone on Oppo gone to PPIHC?
- Which Would You Rather? Because Racecar, 3rd Edition
- What is the best looking car from BMW?
- The Pros and Cons of Owning a Yellow Car
- What Frowned Upon Car Thing Do You Like?
- Has anyone here ever made a kit car?
- Notes on my first day as a pizza delivery boy
- I need a new shift knob. What kind of shift knob should I shift knob?
- Mustang Versus Camaro. Open Debate
- What's the Least Powerful Daily Driver you can Think of?
- Show me: your favorite controversial car design
- Happy Mother's Day- What cars do moms want most?
- Congrats to FIA for ruining Formula 1- 3/4 of the field lapped
- Drive of the Race - Spanish Gran Prix
- Best 5.6 Litre Engine
- Which Would You Rather? Special Edition, 2nd Edition
- What would you bring for a x-country road trip buying sight unseen?
- Floor Jack Recommendations
- To all the "F1 is boring now" haters
Just the #tips
- Oakland Toyota Dealership Uses Same Sex Couple in Commercial
- Fast Forest Rally Stage High Desert Trails
- Driverless car goes on reverse rampage
- The 98th Edition of The Targa Florio Is On
- Clarkson officially saved by top level BBC bro
- Harris' 24hr Ring 911 gets defaced just like that Viper
- Hoon of The Day, Drifting a Old AWD Honda Civic Wagon!
- 1/3 Scale Homebuilt B-17
- Danube low fly-by
- "That moment when you realize you just stuffed Jim Clack's Lotus 49"
- Citroën, meet wall. Wall, meet Citroën.
- NIGHTRUN - Box One Collective
- If you've wondered how concept cars get to photoshoot locations...
- Koennigseg vs a McLaren f1 chassis #14
These posts have already been shared with Jalopnik directly but deserve to be mentioned again because they were first posted on Oppositelock:
- When Life Gives You a Lemon: The story of my 99 Ford Taurus Wagon
- VW Launches New Website, Wants to Go On a Date
- First Ever CPO Tesla Model S For Sale
- Le Mans at Your Fingertips
- Driving a 911 for the First Time, a Dream Come True
- Bird Shit On Windshield Looks Like Bird Taking A Shit
- Celebrate Mother's Day with the Mother-Of-All Helicopters
- Mitsubishi used to make a LOT of cool things
- How to Do Your Own 24 Hours of Le Mans for Real
- Happy Day to All Mothers out There, What's the Best Car For Them?
- Finally, a short review of the Jaguar F-Type S Coupe