Back in July, I decided I wanted to get in on modding my car with the first major ‘mod’ I’ve ever done with it. I used to have fog lights on my 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5TS wagon and found them really useful in the oft-present fog and poor winter driving conditions we get here in Nova Scotia, so I placed an order for an aftermarket OEM-style fog light kit and wiring harness.
The parts arrived and I took it upon myself to install the interior side of the wiring harness first, which was...eventually.....a success!
I finally had a chance to get the engine bay/bumper side of the harness installed the other day, which wasn’t too hard, but was a bit of a pain in the backside in regards to a few things. I picked a relatively cool morning (in the midst of a heatwave we’d been having here...), grabbed my tools and went to work.
I needed to remove the front bumper to route the wiring. Not a hard task on MC Accents, but Hyundai REALLY wanted to make sure it stayed on there! 2 screws, 2 bolts, and 13 clips later...
After a lot of fiddling and careful pulling and prying, off the bumper popped!
I carefully routed the wiring harness along the drivers side fender and down past the air intake and driver’s headlight to where the fog lights would rest. I ziptied everything carefully to holes and other cables to keep the harness as neat as I could (it was quite long in the kit).
It was at this point I stopped doing a good job of taking pictures because it was 36-38 degrees Celcius outside and I was roasting and just wanted to get it done (Nova Scotia’s had a lot of unseasonable heat lately). I swapped the plain halogen bulbs that came with the fogs for the Sylvania Fog Vision bulbs I bought (+1 for Selective Yellow!), plugged the fog assemblies in, reinstalled the bumper cover. Reconnected the battery, re-set all my radio and clock settings to where they should be, put the key on ‘Accessory’ and hit the fog light switch...
Success! :D They worked and the yellow is quite noticeable. Should help a lot in cutting through the fog and heavy snowstorms we get here when I am out and about. The fogs are wired independently of the high or low beams, but they ARE wired to ‘Accessory/Ignition’ power, so I don’t have to worry about forgetting to turn them off when I pull the key out and walk away from my car...BUT...
...there was a problem. No matter WHAT I did, I could not get them to adjust whatsoever. Screwing in or out the adjustment knobs on the back did nothing. The way the fog assemblies adjust is simple but effective. They are held in by four screws to the bumper. Two at the top where the actual light assemblies hinge from so the bottom can move back and forth to tip the lower edge up or down. If it helps, think of a swingset - hinged at the top. When the swing swings forward the bottom of the swing tilts up. When it swings backward, the bottom of the swing tilts down. The light adjustment works the same way. You can see just how far down they were pointing no matter how many times I screwed the adjustment knobs one way or another...
I drove the car to work with them like that to see how the light spread was in the dark on my way home from work later that day. They were useless. You couldn’t even tell they were on from the driver’s seat other than a little extra yellow light off to the sides. Something was seriously wrong with the adjustment somehow...
The next day, I crawled back under the car (without removing the bumper’s a billion and a half clips...) to look closely at the adjustment assemblies and noticed something. The screws would tighten or loosen like they were supposed to for fun, but there was of course no adjustment happening at all. Why? Well, it was because the adjustment knobs were assembled wrong at whatever factory made them. They featured a spring that I couldn’t understand the purpose of at the back of the adjustment mounting around the adjustment knob/screws that seemingly did nothing. That’s because they WERE doing nothing....they were in the wrong place. An hour of swearing and fiddling in tight quarters scraping my knuckles because I didn’t want to have to go through the hassle of taking the whole bumper off again and I removed the knob/screws completely, used zipties as impromptu mini spring compressors and squeezed the springs in between the fog assembly bracket and the adjustment bracket where they were supposed to be. Voila, the adjustment worked PERFECTLY now!
Went for a drive that night to test them in the dark again to see the light spread and it’s SO much better. They’ll definitely be a help when bad weather comes.....they also look pretty awesome (not that I am going to drive around with them on all the time!). Proof:
Excuse the crappy phone shots, but I am happy with how they turned out! :)