Oh man I’m close, but yesterday was a tedious exercise in frustration. Also I didn’t take any pictures.
Because apparently the world is gripped by some sort of global pandemic whose primary symptom appears to be the irrational purchase of water and paper goods, I was unable to purchase the required amount of distilled water to do a proper cooling system flush that way I like to. Which is to say my local grocery had a limit of 2 water products per visit, Target had a limit of 5, and Walmart wouldn’t let you order them for curbside pickup. I ended up with 5 gallons from Target as they seems to have the best curbside system, even if it involves using their app.
Then I popped over to Lowe’s... and then Home Depot because Lowe’s didn’t have what I needed... to buy fittings so I can add a high flow output to my RO system. As configured my RO filters only outputs through the fridge upstairs, which is painfully slow and requires you to hold something up to the output and periodically release and restart, so I added at the filter output in the basement.
Then off to O’Reilly’s for some coolant... which they claimed they only had in 50/50 and literally had never sold concentrate I must be crazy. After going back to my car and confirming they had concentrate listed at that location, I went back in and the guy found it in back. He at least had the good graces to be sheepish about it.
Home and hopefully not infected with plague, I proceeded to flush with tap water 4-5 times. Turns out even with blowing the cooling system out with air it still manages to hang onto about 1.5 of the 3.6 gallons of coolant between drains... which is inconvenient. Hooking up my vacuum filler seemed to extract some of it from wherever it was hiding, but at the consequence of making some REALLY horrible noises, so I desisted. My best guess is the heater and supercharger systems are isolated enough they’re not draining, but I didn’t have enough give-a-fucks left to look it up.
After the tap water flushes had been good and clear for a while, I started with distilled/ RO water. I did three of those, letting the car warm up between fills to make sure everything was good and circulated. Then, of course, I had to let it cool down a bit before draining. I repeated that until I ran out of distilled water.
Then it was time to fill and I won’t lie... I made a spreadsheet.
Basically the thinking is there is now around 1.5 gallons of distilled water in the system, which means I need to add 1.5 gallons of concentrate to get a 50/50 mix and then top off with 0.5 gallons of 50/50 pre-mix. The actual math was slightly harder using real numbers, but in the end I ended up with what I think is about 43/57 mix and I’m OK with that.
On the bright side that means I should now be able to put the skid plates and front bumper cover back on and start buttoning up the car. Might even be able to get it on the road again tonight or tomorrow!