The night before I left for deployment the Morgan left us stranded as we headed to dinner, classic and expected really. I was pretty sure it was the fuel pump because they are a known weak spot and I’ve experienced this before. In the previous breakdown, the pump mysteriously came back to life. Disclaimer, the fuel gauge shows a numeric value not grounded in reality so both times I ran it out of gas which kills the pump.
I was nervous since I had no time to prepare it for storage. The only good news was the engine was dry of fuel since it was fuel starved and I changed the oil the day before. I also had a battery tender.
6 months into deployment we were being extended so my patient wife added fuel stabilizer and kept rolling the car around the garage, you know, for my piece of mind. Of course the tank was almost full as she added the gas and it went into the overfill charcoal filter and spilled out making a hard situation more frustrating. Most of the stabilizer got in though so I held my breath. All I could do was wait.
There were a few times on Skype I’d ask her to turn it over and the fuel pump was not playing along. I took it as a good sign and this could still be an easy fix.
The Morgan forum is unbelievable. Imagine the jeep and lotus forum put together except every person has broken down at least once and no one lives near a place to service the cars, they exist I’m sure of it though.
I found a step by step pdf a member wrote that even the newest mechanic could follow because this repair is so common people carry the tools and parts to do it on the roadside.
In a side story the parts I ordered from the UK were 70.00$ but a mixup declared them 7,000$ which made me fill out paperwork to become an importer of goods. I received a VAT bill from FedEx for 3 times what I paid for the parts. It all got sorted eventually, just another random morgan ownership experience.
The procedure is simple, disconnect the lines take out the pump and replace the filter while your in there, fit a pump that isn’t from a 1990s Landrover and get back on the road. The whole thing took me 2 hours.
My first 2 drives were 5 to 10 minutes as a shakedown to see if anything else like the rear main seal or bevel box or oil container or transmission was going to leak or implode. I wanted to actually warm it up so yesterday I took it on an hour long jaunt to work because I’d rather get stranded where I know I can get a ride back to my trailer. Today I’m saying it is officially fixed and the check engine light is off without tape covering it! My guess is the light was from the exhaust O2 sensors reading old fuel. So it’s fixed! For now...
I’ll wash it this week and get some photos. I did scratch a fender and the other one came scratched so they will need to be painted because there is always something=).