The rebuild kit was worked great for a couple of starts, then the starter revealed itself to be the source of the problem. At first, it looked like a bent shaft. After watching it try a few times, I think it may have been worn bushings. Either way, I ordered a replacement. Things must have been slow in their shop because instead of arriving next Wednesday like the receipt said, it showed up two days after I ordered it. Go figure.
Well wrapped to prevent infections (maybe).
Two 10mm bolts and one electrical connection was all it required.
And that was it! The new starter has tons of cranking power where the old one would just bog down and stop. The mower now starts on the first try!
Just a quick recap - the starter on my mower stopped starting and needs some repair.
At the end of our last episode, I was trying to decide whether to buy a rebuild kit or a new starter. A package arrived a couple of days ago...
and it’s a rebuild kit! Time to start rebuilding!
It’s always a good idea to lay out your parts in a safe location where they won’t get lost or fall down into the deep dark crevices of an engine, never to be seen again. I’m not one to listen to good ideas. What we have here are a new drive gear, a drive washer, a retract spring, and a new bushing with a c-clip to hold it all in place. While I hoped I would have enough clearance to work on it without removing the starter, I learned I was wrong.
I had to break out the ratchet and go digging for a 10mm socket. Just two bolts hold the starter in place and both were easy to remove. It was shortly after that when the cursing began. I discovered that the threads at the top of the drive shaft were worn out and required some filing so the new drive washer would thread on properly. That required removal of the starter which required the removal of the ground wire the bolts for which were really stuck. For some reason, when I start cursing my phone stops taking pictures. Thus the jump to the end.
And as a final step, a freshly cleaned cover.
And it works! Sort of. Before I slapped the cover back on, I noticed that the starter was dragging and I thought the culprit was a low battery. After an overnight charge, the starter is still dragging. I pulled the cover off and watched closely as I tried to start it.
It’s clear that the starter shaft is slightly bent.
I loosened the bolts to create some room and managed to get the mower started. It looks like I’ll be able to mow this weekend, but I had to place an order for a new starter after all.
It should be here next week.
Keywords: Kohler; SV735-0016; Courage; starter