Let the wrenching commence.

With the help of fellow Opponaut Bacon and his sweet trailer, we transported my brother’s new project (1991 Saab 900 S sedan) home from Ron’s collection.

New VMS boards on the freeway read “TESTING IN PROGRESS”
LEFT: This GT3RS and Caddywagon were battling for the lead. RIGHT: This ’67 Caddy wasn’t in as much of a hurry.

Advertisement

Before reaching our destination, we stopped at a car wash to quickly pressure-rinse off the worst of the grime.

After unloading the car from Bacon’s trailer, it was just too hot to start wrenching, so we just opened all the doors to let it air out in the sun for the rest of the day.

Advertisement

Still plenty of grime on the doors. It’ll need a good scrubbing.
The interior needs a good detailing, too. Some very light surface mold to take care of. But apart from a cracked dash and a hole worn through the driver’s side carpet, it’s in fairly good shape. Even the leather seats are intact!

Oh, did I mention that it’s a manual?

Advertisement

How long has this thing been off the road? Here’s a clue:

611 miles on the odometer since its last oil change nearly 13 years ago.
Haven’t tried opening this yet. *fingers crossed*

Advertisement

I just knew there’d be some junk under here.
In the trunk, the jack, spare tyre, and most of the tool kit items were still there. Sweet!
Hmm, I wonder where the 710 cap is?

Advertisement

So much room for activities! Actually that’s just where the battery is supposed to go. Still plenty of space left over, though... Seems like a good spot for a turbo, I say.

Underneath, the exhaust had fallen off (I just threw it in the back of my truck before we left Ron’s; we’ll deal with it later). And the rusty rear brakes were unbolted (presumably on account of a seized parking brake).

At least the brake lines look ok.

Advertisement

Tyres will have to be replaced, and this wheel ain’t looking too good either:

Also, this door handle:

Advertisement

Still have to put together a full repair list. For now, the important things are that it needs a battery, something’s broken in the ignition switch assembly, it’s not getting fuel into the engine, the brakes need an overhaul, tyres have to be replaced, and the exhaust has to be re-attached. But I guess that’s pretty typical for a $600 project car that’s been off the road for over a decade.