Well, I’ve gotten deeper into this thing, and I have to say it’s pretty damn clean inside. It’s covered in crap on the outside around the carb, but that’s to be expected with all the oil hanging around there.

Don’t know quite what to make of this. This original coils were brown like this, the later ones were black and pretty unreliable. It’s either original and very clean, or the last guy to pull it apart went to the trouble of finding a good coil.
Had to wait on that flywheel puller to get this far. The I find out that the grooves weren’t deep enough for this thing. Nothing an angle grinder can’t fix

Advertisement

Flywheel and coil removed.

Here we begin to see the first issue. The ring that supports the gas tank is cracked at the back. Not critical, it doesn’t bear any weight, but it would be good to at least attempt a patch when I put it back together.

Advertisement

Carb shroud removed—and here’s a surprise. There is NO—and I mean NO, not just missing—air filter.

Advertisement

Here’s the aforementioned crap on the outside. To be expected.

Advertisement

However, the other side of the carb is mostly clean. A little bit of grit.

Advertisement

Managed to get the gasket out in one piece. Which is nice.
Worse gunk.

Advertisement

More gunk.
Getting the lower half of the carb back together after sitting the parts in carb cleaner for a couple days.

Advertisement

Fuel lines and fittings were also hosed from the inside out with carb cleaner.
All reconnected and sealed while I clean the top half.
As it started.

Advertisement

Advertisement

After a bath in carb cleaner and reassembly, here’s the result:

Advertisement

And onto the crankcase/cylinder!

Had this covered while the carb was off.
Looks like it just came out of the factory.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Valves removed, disassembled and currently soaking in carb cleaner. I hope I don’t have to re-use that gasket.

Advertisement

Inside the crankcase.

Next, remove the actual motor from the unit.

Advertisement

Advertisement

...and that’s it for now. I honestly don’t think I even have to tear down the rest of that motor. I’ll take the head off and clean out the carbon, but pending what I see there I think the motor is as far apart as it needs to come. Now I can check the driveline and water pump.