I’ve looked at 8 homes in the last two days alone, in addition to the half-dozen I look at weekly, and I am stunned by what I’ve seen. Small homes that need major overhaul for laughable amounts Houses in shit areas going for more. And the one house in a good area getting 12 bids [eye twitches]. Inventory is improving, but quality of homes has been stagnant. So if we don’t buy a house, we’ll have some money lying around... Money that was supposed to be for a downpayment, but hey.
Here’s what I’d do maybe...
THE FORTRESS BUILD
- 6' privacy fence for entire backyard, and a 4' cute/decorative picket fence for the front.
- Adding a bay to the garage and widen the driveway. I’ll get my 2-car garage one way or another, dammit!
- Barn gate for the driveway. The picket fence says “hello,” but the gate will say, “hell no.” An important balance.
- I guess I should replace the garage windows and fix the north corner which needs love
THE “HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE” BUILD
- New appliances
- New floors in kitchen, bathroom, and mudroom. Carpet everywhere else.
- New kitchen cabinets
- demo of separating wall between living room and kitchen to make a nice open floor plan
- turn the bonus room into a proper second bedroom (build a closet, close the half-wall, drink more beer).
- complete bathroom remodel. New cabinets, new tub, and a barn-style frameless glass shower door with low-iron glass and sandblasting across the center... Or maybe just go with rain glass.
- paint ALL THE THINGS
THE “MONEY-INTO-BONFIRE” BUILD
- combine the above two plans and have a home that looks way too nice for 886 square feet in east Everett. Although I guess at that point, the expansion idea would be back on the table.
Unfortunately, any of these fun plans will be constrained by the first plan of action...
THE ZOIDBERG BUILD
- Put money into savings
- pay off some more student loans
- post chandeliers