Finishing, but not finished. Today I applied a wood restorer and now it’s looking a bit better. There’s still a little sanding to do on the top portion and the internal shelves, followed by polishing up those parts.

This piece is just an old stereo bench that my dad bought back in 1972. It had suffered some damage when I moved, and I finally figured out why. The piece is just teak veneer on particle board, and therein lies the problem. Years ago I had a water heater break when I was at work and my carpets were completely soaked. The particle board absorbed that moisture and weakened several key joints, many of which blew out during the move. I have reinforced those sections and recreated the missing rear support, but it’s not perfect. I tried filing in the places where the veneer was missing with colored wood putty, but it’s still noticeable, there’s only so much you can easily do when chunks of the original wood aren’t there. Hopefully these repairs can keep it going for another 47 years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

And I did create some new damage, as seen in the last image. I didn’t realize that the little plastic foot came off of one of my clamps and I proceeded to create a few circular blemishes where that clamp was used. D’oh!