Thought I'd post up my old Acclaim build for Everyone

So I took my old 95 Acclaim from this:

(Not mine, but identical)

Into this over the course of 3 years while daily driving it:

Advertisement

It went through numerous stages on the way to completion.

I first did some rust repair and gave it a quick repaint, not intending to keep it:

Advertisement

It ended up like this, at which it was mostly stock with just an intake and exhaust, custom paint, and Neon wheels.

Advertisement

Doing the intake and exhaust opened up a tremendous amount of top end (probably not tremendous, but extremely noticeable), so that made me start researching.

That’s when things got crazy. I started modifying the engine heavily, which led to blowing up a transmission at 167k. I had the trans built by a local shop, with a high stall converter, extra clutches (heavy duty), and a reworked valve body. With this work done, the car went like crazy. It would break the tires loose on every shift.

Advertisement

I drove it in that form until I got sick of breaking axles (from the high stall/hard shifts) and was searching for more power again. That led to me researching a manual swap. So I found a Shadow donor car and set to work.

I pulled the engine out of the Shadow, put it on a stand, and tore it to the bare block. Rebuilt it using Diamante 10:1 Pistons, heavily ported/polished heads with reground Diamante cams, ported/polished/port matched intake manifold, plenum spacers, heavily ported/polished intake plenum, TB spacer, ported/polished 52mm throttle body, old style caravan fuel rail, ported exhaust manifolds, Fidanza flywheel, and stuff I’m sure I’m forgetting.

Advertisement

I then tore into the A543 5-speed trans. I replaced the gearset with an A568 gearset and used the A568 differential to create a bulletproof trans. I mated them together using a Spec Stage-3 6-puck clutch.

I then installed everything in the car and began doing body work again, as I decided the metallic red was no longer cutting it. I gathered Spirit RT gfx, a Lebaron slat grille, and Clear corner and bumper lights. I also decided to build my own cowl hood for it:

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

I drove it around like this for a couple months while working 70+hrs a week. Over those couple months I also completely rebuilt the suspension, adding KYB struts, Koni shocks, shorter springs, bigger sway bars, a modified Neon strut bar, and a new track bar. Finally caught a break and finished it:

Advertisement

Added a set of wheels and turned it into the product you saw at the top. I ended up selling her when things got tight a while back. I wish I still had it, that’s why I’m building another. ;)

Share This Story